Forum home The potting shed

Addicted to fish now lol

Gail_68Gail_68 Staffordshire_UK (Zone 4)Posts: 38
edited January 2019 in The potting shed
Well I've had my dogs, cats and reptiles so I thought fish...I purchased a 20 litre tank and brought guppies etc and now have extended onto a 100 litre tank that's running it's cycle before fish can be added :) 

20 litre aquarium

https://youtu.be/numllIE_DZE

100 litre Aquarium

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,531
    Nice. What kind of fish are you going to get? I'm now fishless for the first time since I was a young kid. I had way too many at one point but just don't have the time for the maintenance these days. Shame as the tank water is great for watering the house plants.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,177
    It's so relaxing to just watch them mooching around.
    I've kept tropical fish for more than 50 yrs now. The current setup is going due to house extension, so I'm looking forward to getting a new tank when it all done.

Good luck with yours. A Japanese theme by the look of it - if only you could get some aquatic acers :)

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Gail_68Gail_68 Staffordshire_UK (Zone 4)Posts: 38
    Nice. What kind of fish are you going to get? I'm now fishless for the first time since I was a young kid. I had way too many at one point but just don't have the time for the maintenance these days. Shame as the tank water is great for watering the house plants.
    Hello wild edges, i'm having all males in the tank...so far I have in the small one waiting to go over to the large one when it's finished cycling...1 Albion gold sucker, 2 ghost shrimps, 5 guppies, 4 Endlerguppies (Japan blue) and 1 gourami and 2 Red tip rasbora.

They seem to get on fine but I am a lover of the guppies plus I won't be over doing the tank.
    So when your house plants need water you do a dip :D 

Pete.8 said:
    It's so relaxing to just watch them mooching around.
    I've kept tropical fish for more than 50 yrs now. The current setup is going due to house extension, so I'm looking forward to getting a new tank when it all done.

Good luck with yours. A Japanese theme by the look of it - if only you could get some aquatic acers :)

Hi Pete, that's how I find fish relaxing and my new tank is also magnified so it will really show my fish at it's best...how long will the cycling take on a tank my size 100 litres?

Yes definitely Japanese :) Do aquatic acers get on with what I have already...as i'll be adding more guppies as I do adore their colours and tails.

.1 Albion gold sucker, 2 ghost shrimps, 5 guppies, 4 Endlerguppies (Japan blue) and 1 gourami and 2 Red tip rasbora.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,177
    edited January 2019
    Hi Gail, bow-fronted tanks are lovely. I had one when I were a lad.
    I'd think you need to cycle for about 10 days for your guppies etc.
    I've never had shrimp (other than for dinner) but I know they're particularly sensitive to water changes. You could try posting a question on the Practical Fishkeeping forum. I'm sure someone there will be able to help.
    If you're not keeping the old tank, use the water from that in your new tank. It'll help it settle faster and will be less of a shock to your fish.

The bit about acers was just a laugh! They're trees, and almost always appear in Japanese style gardens.
    I'm sure your fish would appreciate some real plants in there too. Just a few bits of something cheap and cheerful will give the fish somewhere to hide and your rasboras will love a nibble too.
    Best of luck to you and your fishy friends :)

PS a few small catfish (3 maybe) would help a lot with keeping the gravel clean and free from uneaten food. One of my faves is the albino corydoras - really cheeky chappies. There's one in the bottom right of my pic on the gravel
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,600
    Fishkeeping is an addiction which I only managed to break when I married and left home.  At home I started with an 18" plastic tank and ended up with 1x 4 foot, 2 x 3 foot and 2 x 18".  I also worked in the aquatics section of our local garden centre for 2 years.
    I'd love to have them again but we don't have any spare wall space to put a decent size tank, and I certainly wouldn't want a small one.
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 813
    You don’t say how you are cycling and it’s hard to say how long it will take, but it can be 6 weeks or more. Have you used a start up product? or have you added ammonia? Have you got a test kit? I can’t see what sort of filter you have, did you add some filter media from the old tank? Definitely join a fish forum. 
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,991
    When my then boyfriend and I moved in together, he had a huge fish tank. It was almost a deal breaker! Fortunately for me, it was coming to the end of its life and he never replaced it!
    But I love my fish in the garden!
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
    Pete.8 said:
    Hi Gail, bow-fronted tanks are lovely. I had one when I were a lad.
    I'd think you need to cycle for about 10 days for your guppies etc.
    I've never had shrimp (other than for dinner) but I know they're particularly sensitive to water changes. You could try posting a question on the Practical Fishkeeping forum. I'm sure someone there will be able to help.
    If you're not keeping the old tank, use the water from that in your new tank. It'll help it settle faster and will be less of a shock to your fish.

The bit about acers was just a laugh! They're trees, and almost always appear in Japanese style gardens.
    I'm sure your fish would appreciate some real plants in there too. Just a few bits of something cheap and cheerful will give the fish somewhere to hide and your rasboras will love a nibble too.
    Best of luck to you and your fishy friends :)

PS a few small catfish (3 maybe) would help a lot with keeping the gravel clean and free from uneaten food. One of my faves is the albino corydoras - really cheeky chappies. There's one in the bottom right of my pic on the gravel
    Hi Pete more fool me to take it in about acer fish...as I know what acer plants are as I nearly brought one last year...I joined a forum and left well alone contradictions off different ones it's enough to do your head in but I've got a friend who's had several large tanks who's helping me but the odd opinion is nice to hear :) 

When I am ready to transport the fish when the tanks finished..i won't be able to use that water as it's still bottled water...I shall look at the cat fish and I can see your on the right...cheers :)

• Buzzy2Buzzy2 Posts: 107
    Lovely tank Pete.8