Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Garden Furniture - Differences and Choosing?

Hey guys and gals,

I'm looking at buying some garden furniture but I don't really know where to start. I have a space with a patio around 10m x 8m so quite ample space to put some furniture.

Should I go for rattan furniture or aluminium? Are they okay to be left out as I have limited storage space?

What do you guys look for when you're buying furniture for your garden?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064
    If it's staying out you need something that won't rot or rust in the rain and frosts or blow away in strong winds.  Rattan is not waterproof.  Aluminium is likely to blow away as it's light.

Your budget will dictate what is available and then it's a question of taste and practicalities.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Could you help me with budget ranges?

I've seen rattan at like £400 for a set and also for £2000.

Not averse to spending money just need to know what I'm spending it on :)

I appreciate the advice thank you Obelixx!
  • I think most "rattan" garden furniture is actually synthetic and so is ok left outside. I have 3 sitting areas in my  garden and have wooden furniture in one, synthetic rattan in the 2nd and something metal in the 3rd. (OH says he thinks it's made of steel.) They've all lasted well so it really depends what you like. The rattan furniture does blow around a bit in very windy weather.

Whatever you get I'd advise sitting on it first. Some furniture looks beautiful but is very uncomfortable!
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064
    I can't determine your budget.  That's definitely your personal choice, as are style and material.

My last garden was very wet and windy so we had cast iron chairs with wooden seats because the early, cheap plastic stuff blew away.   We've had to replace the seats but then they are 20 years old now.   Being cold and wet in Belgian winters we always took our furniture under cover.    We also have a lighter metal hollow tube table and chairs set which we also take under cover as they rust.  Our teak table was also taken under cover but we've left out out this winter as it's flipping heavy and it's neither as cold nor as wet nor as windy here.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730
    My patio area is very exposed and I have table, chairs and benches from Lazy Susan ( https://www.lazysusanfurniture.co.uk/metal-garden-furniture/ ). You do need the cushions as the chairs aren't very comfortable without. It's been out in all weathers for 6 years now and has survived unscathed so far.
  • BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,712
    We bought the metal mesh furniture from this range and we’re delighted with it. 

https://www.kettler.co.uk/garden-furniture/shop-by-range/

We added thick chargoal grey cushions bought on eBay for much cheaper prices than Kettler’s own, and thinner, cushions.
    Rutland, England
  • We used to have wooden patio furniture but I got fed up having to clean & re-treat it so now we have the same as Piciadae. 
    AB Still learning

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    Just what we need - a spammer dredging up an old thread  :D
    I should have realised when you posted a daft comment on a different thread @hamnajain4H0A_4rm. You've been rumbled. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012
    They seem to have problems identifying the difference between square and round.  If they or their supplier can't even get that right, I certainly wouldn't buy from them. :D
  • floraliesfloralies Posts: 2,716
    Who wants to pay the shipping costs from Dubai anyway?