Forum home The potting shed

Tuberosa

Where is the best place to buy Tuberosa bulbs/tubers from? All the on line suppliers Ive looked at have different prices. I want good quality but a fair price...and Id like a few colours not just white.

• I’m just looking for some as well. Here’s Farmer Gracy’s offer: https://www.farmergracy.co.uk/collections/spring-planting-bulbs/polianthes-bulbs-uk

• Thanks, these look good. I like the different colours. Have you grown them before? 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,166
    I have tried the white ones. Two years running, the bulbs live but do not flower.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Hmm I thought they were quite easy to grow? Do you think its the soil?
  • Maybe I should try something else?? I am such a novice and tend to kill most things off!!

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,553
    Kerrie, I don’t think it’s a good idea to use your email address for a user name, would it be better if you deleted the email address and just used Kerrie.? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hi Lyn.. I wasn’t sure if it was showing everyone else, tried to change it on settings earlier. Will have another go now, thanks for the heads up 😊
  • I haven’t grown them, no. But I’m really tempted by scented plants this year.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,727
    The only time I have had them flower was when grown in a pot on my south-facing bay window cill in a centrally heated room.  They lived for several years after that when repotted and moved to a west-facing unheated conservatory but never bloomed again.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Ooh shame Bob :-(
    Were they really fragrant? Id not heard of them until I came across a perfume in Jo Malone, 'Tuberosa Angelica', its stunning. Could'nt afford the perfume so thought Id grow the flowers instead. Well maybe I will buy just a few to give them a try. Sounds like they need a good sunny spot!