Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bee bricks

I've had one of those beech log been houses for years but weather has taken its toll and this winter will kill it finally. In looking for a new one I've found the concrete bee bricks. Does anyone have one and can give it a positive review?

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,523
    I've got a couple of the Schwegler bee hotel boxes that have bee bricks built in and are surrounded by reeds and bamboo canes. This summer the bricks were very popular with all kinds of bees and wasps, more so than the canes. It's not an in-depth review but they did seem to prefer the harder material.

The main problem is that with a cane based hotel you can replace the individual canes after they've been used but it's almost impossible to pick the right time to clean a brick out. There always seems to be something using them whether waiting to hatch or building a nest. I can't seem to find much advice on how to clean them and when. If you're happy to just let the insects deal with it all themselves though then they're ideal.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,068
    no idea, but Hi Steve.
    Devon.

• @wild edges , my beech one got used again and again, early in the season by masonry bees, later by leafcutters. I just wanted to make sure they used it. The beech has lasted years but has needed repairs!
  • Is there anything special about the way these bee bricks are designed, or could the same effect be achieved by drilling holes into existing bricks? Might be less pretty of course. 

I've been tempted to buy some bee bricks but I also have a pile of old bricks sitting around, so a DIY option would be much cheaper!
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,066
    Is there anything special about the way these bee bricks are designed, or could the same effect be achieved by drilling holes into existing bricks? Might be less pretty of course. 

I've been tempted to buy some bee bricks but I also have a pile of old bricks sitting around, so a DIY option would be much cheaper!
    Check out how hard your old bricks are - it might cost you more in masonary bits than buying pre-cast ones, especially if they are engineering bricks!  If they are reasonably soft I'd say go for it.  Most advice is to drill holes varying between 4 and 10mm to attract as many species as possible.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.