Garden Visits 2019

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 3,034
    edited 9 February
    Thank you so much for those @yviestevie,  l am very envious!  :) l agree about the cornus and grass combination. Was it very busy ? Did you buy any hellebores?  No more questions! 
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 14,346
    Agree about the cornus and grass.  A lovely place for a visit at this time of year Yvie.
    SW Scotland
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,494
    Wasn't planning to go as I was looking after grandsons but got away early.  Didn't buy any hellebores just bought some compost for seeds and cuttings.  Apparently they had a really good day with lots of visitors, it wasn't too busy when I went as it was quite late in the day.  I do feel incredibly lucky to live so close.  I have never visited a better garden centre, and I've visited quite a few.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 15,541
    Gorgeous Yvie.  Thanks for sharing.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • SuesynSuesyn Posts: 143
    I agree that Ashwoods is the best Garden centre I have ever visited.  We spent a week in the area (to visit Black Country  Museum ) and after reading Yvies comments decided to visit the garden centre.  We will definitely be going back to both. 
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 1,961
    I got the opportunity to visit Anglesey Abbey gardens this week - exactly a month after @chicky went, so I jumped at the chance. Here are some photos - trying not to duplicate! I think I must have seen millions, literally, of snowdrops. They have a collection of over 300 named varieties, with more being added all the time because snowdrops are so promiscuous. But in addition to the areas holding the official collection, there are thousands upon thousands everywhere else.

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
    The famous Himalayan birches, and some other scenes around the wider garden. There was a fantastic pear trained against the house.

- Cicero
    And finally, snowdrops!

The ditch area is where they keep the collection of 300 varieties, then behind there (and a locked gate) there is the same collection again, but with labels. Nicely done.

- Cicero
    edited 15 February
    A few with different markings, close up. No prizes for guessing which one I used for a Valentine's card ;)

One more thing - as chicky said, the entry price is rather high, but RHS members get in (just to gardens) free. And even on a Wednesday, it was really busy - car parks nearly full, queues in the cafe etc. The route through the winter garden was well populated (not crowded, exactly). But once out in the gardens as a whole, it was much quieter.
    - Cicero
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 4,981
    Fab photos - thanks, LG!  I'm a sucker for yellow spring flowers against a blue sky   :)

I also have serious espalier envy.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore