Garden Visits 2019

chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,401
edited 13 January in Garden design
My 2019 garden visiting started today 😀. So thought I’d start a thread for sharing our pictures, hints and tips on the gardens we have visited throughout the year.

And for those liking continuity......here’s a link to last year’s thread https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1010075/garden-visits-2018/p1

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,401
    I visited Anglesey Abbey, just outside Cambridge.  I’ve wanted to see their Winter Garden for some years, and I wasn’t disappointed.....it is stunning.  It also smells wonderful, different scents in different sections (its a winding, serpentine path so you don’t see and smell everything in one go).....daphne, sarcococca, winter honeysuckle, viburnum bodnantensis, wintersweet and mahonia ....all different, but all delicious.
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,541
    [email protected] self for thinking it was on Anglesey!! Clearly I'm a very stupid person.
    :blush:
    Devon.

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,451
    Lovely!
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero

• Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,073
    That makes two of us @Hostafan1! I have relatives on Anglesey and was wondering if they had been there. Also thought members of the forum would have to make a long journey... :|

And finally ...the house itself.

A word of warning - if you’re not a National Trust member it is quite pricey because they sell you a ticket for the gardens/house and watermill combined (think it was about £17) - which is pretty steep if all you want to visit is the garden 😱

I went on a Sunday in early January, and it was pretty busy, but I took my time and most people just rushed past me so I had quit a few moments on my own.  Cafe was good - nice Victoria sponge 🍰😋