Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Garden Visits 2019

chickychicky Posts: 10,409
edited January 2019 in Garden design
My 2019 garden visiting started today 😀. So thought I’d start a thread for sharing our pictures, hints and tips on the gardens we have visited throughout the year.

And for those liking continuity......here’s a link to last year’s thread https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1010075/garden-visits-2018/p1

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409
    I visited Anglesey Abbey, just outside Cambridge.  I’ve wanted to see their Winter Garden for some years, and I wasn’t disappointed.....it is stunning.  It also smells wonderful, different scents in different sections (its a winding, serpentine path so you don’t see and smell everything in one go).....daphne, sarcococca, winter honeysuckle, viburnum bodnantensis, wintersweet and mahonia ....all different, but all delicious.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888
    tsk@ self for thinking it was on Anglesey!! Clearly I'm a very stupid person.
    :blush:
    Devon.

• LG_LG_ Posts: 4,353
    Lovely!
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero

• Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 2,870
    That makes two of us @Hostafan1! I have relatives on Anglesey and was wondering if they had been there. Also thought members of the forum would have to make a long journey... :|

And finally ...the house itself.

A word of warning - if you’re not a National Trust member it is quite pricey because they sell you a ticket for the gardens/house and watermill combined (think it was about £17) - which is pretty steep if all you want to visit is the garden 😱

I went on a Sunday in early January, and it was pretty busy, but I took my time and most people just rushed past me so I had quit a few moments on my own.  Cafe was good - nice Victoria sponge 🍰😋