Forum home Problem solving

Growing seeds.

Good afternoon everyone.  I am looking for some tips on growing Penstemon and Delphinium from seed.  Tried both last year and despite following the instructions on the packet, I failed miserably.  Would also like some suggestions for autumn/winter flowering plants.  Many thanks, in anticipation.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,460
    Autumn winter flowering plants, try Woolmans catalogue for dahlia tubers  and chrysanthemum cuttings. 
    Hayloft plants have Salvia collections. My Salvia Amistad was flowering right up until last week.  They also have a new range similar to hot lips. All salvias need sunny well drained positions.  They also have collections of penstemon rooted cuttings and delphiniums.
  • Mags2Mags2 Posts: 35
    Thanks fidgetbones will certainly check things out.  I  live in Slovakia and whilst it is not problematic getting seeds sent through the post, its a different matter regarding plants and bulbs etc.  
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135
    I sow my Delphinium seeds on the 1st August, penstemon on the 1st April. Apart from that, I can’t help you with your germination as I don’t know what you do, I don’t have any problem with germination.  
    I keep them in the GH all the first winter, them put outside for summer, them plant out the following Spring. By then they are big plants and can cope with slug damage. Not that penstemon get eaten by slugs but Delphs  do!
    Maybe it’s trial and error, we all have to start somewhere, and if you are following instructions, you’ll get there in the end. 🙂
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thanks for the encouragement Lyn.  Will certainly be having another go this year.  Don't know what I am doing wrong.  I sow 100's of seeds every year and don't usually have a problem.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135
    so you’re usually ok, how do you sow the Delphinium seeds, I think penstenoms can be a bit hit or miss, I only got about 6/8 plants out of my packet, but they were lovely blue ones. 
    I usually do cuttings from penstemons now, they root very easily in a glass of water if you do them in the summer. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

I just followed the instructions on the packet and nothing.  When I lived in England I had them both in my garden, absolutely beautiful.  Still, I will persevere.  As you say trial and error.