Forum home Garden design

Too many trees? Front garden design - Advice needed

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,628
    Yes, sorry for the confusion,  l meant the prunus Lauro. then l realised that was an existing one, not the new one (l haven't really woken up today and am slightly distracted by watching the Big Bash cricket!). I would keep the birches - l love forums, you get so many different opinions, but l would always say go with your gut instinct, it's your garden, and although advice/opinions are welcome it always comes down to you in the end :) That view is absolutely stunning, l wish l had something even half as good.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,225
    I would say go with whatever you fancy, it will take many years for them to get to their full potential,  by then you may have moved, if you haven’t you can always take something out then if it’s too overwhelming. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,080
    I think it looks fine in the last photo, I would only comment that I cannot quite see where that wire goes over the garden, it's probably a good idea to keep any trees away from that. And I love that someone took one look at that streetlight and planted a holly in the way! Being in the process of buying right now myself we have turned down two otherwise ideal properties that had streetlights.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,058
    That's a beautiful view and I am deeply envious!  As the others have said, go with your gut instincts and plant what you would like - it's a good choice.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,941
    " I also left 1.5M from the boundary." Not enough for tall growing trees, should be at least 2 metres.
    +++ for Malus 'Evereste'   :)
    --- for cherry laurel  :(
    Lovely view!
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Thank you all! So in the end I went with my gut and what I thought looked right, the malus was taken out and will be moved to the other side. So we've got the two birches, yew and the winter flowering cherry.

Del re the hedge that was the original plan but on reflection I didn't fancy having to trim it all the way round twice a year and also I'd need to do the neighbours side as they wont want to be trimming it. My idea is to blur the boundary with the trees and shrubs so you've got interest and different foliage colour, shapes and textures. Something like this (I appreciate my borders aren't as wide but I absolutely love this look). I'd also include a lot more perennials and bulbs etc.

Papi Jo - Sadly I cant leave any more than 1.5m from the boundary so it will have to do, some selective pruning as they grow should stop them encroaching on next door too much. Fingers crossed.

So excited to have started the garden, I had a 12ft x 20ft back garden in the old house and a tiny plot at the front so space to even be able to plant trees is a dream for me! Sad I know :smiley:
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,242

So excited to have started the garden, I had a 12ft x 20ft back garden in the old house and a tiny plot at the front so space to even be able to plant trees is a dream for me! Sad I know :smiley:
    Not in the least sad. You're among friends here - I LOVE planting trees when I can afford them. 
    Your view is fantastic - I think you're going to make a fabulous place there  :)
    “It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,784
    edited January 2019
    I love that garden. Where is it? Reminds me of Foggy Bottom at Bressingham, but I don't think it is.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Raisingirl - Thank you! Yes we love the view; its the main reason for buying the house! I still haven't thought about the back garden yet, needs a total redesign but I working my way back slowly! Whatever we do it will be to optimize the view.

Del - I like the Liquidamber what amazing colours! They have a dwarf version called "little Richard" I might investigate! 

Busy-Lizzie - Not sure where it is, I got the photo from google and it didn't say. I love it too, so green! :)
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 4,643
    The garden is in Czech Republic... it's a famous dwarf conifer and ornamental tree garden with over 1000 varieties.... apparently..

http://wbgarden.com/nove/wb/wbe/indexe/indexe.htm