Andy Murray

KT53KT53 Posts: 2,725
Sad to see the state he was in during the interview with the press in Australia.  It must be devastating for anybody, in any job they love, to realise that it won't be possible to continue doing it at the age of just 31.  He's not the first sportsman to have his body give up on him and won't be the last.
Love him or loathe him, I don't think anybody can deny he is the greatest tennis player that these islands have produced.  His record of achievement is unmatched.  He may not be Mr Personality, and his voice is flat, but that doesn't diminish what he has achieved.  Hopefully he will be able to move onto something equally fulfilling in the future.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,782
    If he's smart, he'll have invested  enough to keep him in comfort for the rest of his life and if not, he should have done. 
    Nobody in sport stays at the top for long,, as you say, their bodies give up on them.
    I guess he'll become a "pundit" on TV before long.
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 14,387
    He will have invested because he's not stupid.  The question is why has his hip surgery not worked given that it is routine these days to have hip replacements.  I know several people who have them and are on a new lease of life.

I hope he takes a while to sit back, relax, enjoy his family, gain perspective and then finds something useful to do whether it be tennis management, coaching, sports equality or punditry tho i'm not convinced his speaking voice or delivery to date lend themselves to commentary and interviewing.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 2,725
    He hasn't had a hip replacement as I understand things.  He's had various forms of hip surgery and they are now talking about resurfacing or replacement.  My assumption would be that he was told he wouldn't be able to play at the top level again following resurfacing or replacement and wanted to try all other options before taking that route.
      I have a bad hip and my GP wants to put off replacement as long as possible because the new hip doesn't last forever, and I'm 67.  To replace on a 31 year old would really condemn them to the risk of serious incapacity in middle age because there is a limit to how many times a hip can be replaced.
    Although hip replacement does have a high success rate, no operation is without risk or 100% successful.
    I have to agree that his voice isn't really suited to commentary or interviewing.  For better or worse, he will have time now for voice coaching if he does want to take that route.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 1,816
    I did feel for him when l saw the press conference, after all tennis is all he's ever known from a very young age. I suspect with the benefit of hindsight he would have taken earlier action regarding his hip, l know replacements don't always work (my mum is an example), but it may well have been more successful if he'd had it done sooner. He strikes me as a pretty astute man and l am sure he will have taken good financial advice, but no money can make up for the loss of doing what he loves.(Although l agree it's nice not to have to worry !)
    I agree with Obelixx,  l can't see him being a good TV pundit with his somewhat monotone voice, but hopefully he will find something connected with tennis that he can enjoy in the future and l wish him well.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 22,672
    The op was very much a last straw, as it's not helpful to playing tennis, especially the way he plays. That's why they were trying to avoid it. To play consistently at that level is impossible if you're not properly fit, as it is with any top level sport now. 
    Even when he stops, he'll need other work done [bone shaving] just to keep him pain free in the 'ordinary' world.
    He's made people very proud, especially in Scotland, and I for one, feel priviledged to have been around to watch him succeed at the highest level  through the last decade or so. 
    Oh the devil in me said, go down to the shed
    I know where I belong

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 1,816
    edited 11 January
    Thanks @Fairygirl , now l understand why he didn't do it sooner, l did wonder. Needless to say, l would not describe myself as sporting even though l am visiting a sports injury place to get foot treatment. My friends are finding this highly amusing ! 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,782
    I had a periacetabular osteotomy in 2005 and it's worked a treat. 
    He's only 31, he can always get a job doing something else. He's lucky to have been able to earn a huge sum of money doing something he loves.Not many of us can claim the same.
    Devon.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 1,790

• PicidaePicidae RutlandPosts: 322
    He and his mum own this place. It gets excellent reviews so should be one of, or so I imagine, many, many income streams

https://cromlix.com/accommodation/

For those interested in sport and wealth, who is the world’s richest footballer? As a clue, he used to play for Arsenal and he’s not Thierry Henri.
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,305
    Such a shame I felt really sorry for him yesterday, he's had a fantastic career and won many title in the era of Federer - Nadel - Novak is no mean feet. Winning the two single Golds at the Olympics was very impressive. I've never been a big fan of his , he tends to whine a LOT and has a defensive mind set which isn't as appealing to watch. Fred Perry got a shout for greatest British tennis player ever, Murray undoubtedly open era . 

Flamini is the richest footballer invested in bio tech or something to do with fuel .