Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Alternative species in our gardens

Hello, first of all i introduce myself:
I am a passionate gardening lover, and i like exotic plants and trees the most. Thats why i created a telegram account, where i show species that are unusual, which can grow in places we could never imagine. So if you are interested in discovering new species to build a diferente garden, just take a look. 

Charming gardens
Why stick to native species, when you could have the most beautiful plants all around the world ?

• Okay, thaks for the welcome. 
    I live un valencia,spain.

Thats an example of a species i talk about. 
    The objective is just to show strange and beautiful trees and plants, which can be planted in our gardens.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340
    I did click on the link then clicked on the View Channel button and nothing happened...

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Do you have the Telegram app?
  • pansyface said:
    That’s a very unusual tree. Do you know its Latin name?🙂
    Jabuticaba (Myrciaria caulifloria).
    Kind regards :)
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

That tree also bears fruit, but it's from Brazil and wouldn't survive British winters, which is where most of the posters here are from.

A lot of the plants grown in British gardens were found in other countries by plant explorers. But, unless they are fairly hardy, they wouldn't survive unless their owners put them in a greenhouse in winter. Britain has an enormous selection of plants, largely thanks to the plant hunters in the Victorian era and later.

Personally I like the English garden and cottage garden style but a lot of people grow quite exotic plants and have quite jungly gardens.

Valencia has a much warmer climate than Britain. I live in SW France but here the winters can be very cold although the summers tend to be hot.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • That tree also bears fruit, but it's from Brazil and wouldn't survive British winters, which is where most of the posters here are from.

A lot of the plants grown in British gardens were found in other countries by plant explorers. But, unless they are fairly hardy, they wouldn't survive unless their owners put them in a greenhouse in winter. Britain has an enormous selection of plants, largely thanks to the plant hunters in the Victorian era and later.

Personally I like the English garden and cottage garden style but a lot of people grow quite exotic plants and have quite jungly gardens.

Valencia has a much warmer climate than Britain. I live in SW France but here the winters can be very cold although the summers tend to be hot.

Yeah,  thats true, in my Telegram Channel i also speak about species which can grow in colder locations, for example the Chinese quince. So i also share ideas for people living in colder regionsThis beautiful tree is a Chinese quince, a good option for uk, for example.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064
    Yes, thanks to its temperate climate the UK can and does grow a wide range of plants from all over the world but, as BL says, they have to be able to cope with the winters or be wintered in greenhouses or conservatories which not everyone has or can affrod to heat for several months.

After 25 years in Belgium - long, cold, wet winters but also a wide variety of plants form around the world - I have moved to the Vendée which has milder, sunnier winters but also summer droughts.   I can now grow all sorts of plants I wouldn't have tried in Belgium - as long as they can cope with drought or I can create more moist soil conditions.   Bit of an experiment.

That is an interesting tree you show in the photo.  Never seen one round here tho.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Obelixx said:
    Yes, thanks to its temperate climate the UK can and does grow a wide range of plants from all over the world but, as BL says, they have to be able to cope with the winters or be wintered in greenhouses or conservatories which not everyone has or can affrod to heat for several months.

After 25 years in Belgium - long, cold, wet winters but also a wide variety of plants form around the world - I have moved to the Vendée which has milder, sunnier winters but also summer droughts.   I can now grow all sorts of plants I wouldn't have tried in Belgium - as long as they can cope with drought or I can create more moist soil conditions.   Bit of an experiment.

That is an interesting tree you show in the photo.  Never seen one round here tho.
    Thanks, I want to show extraordinary species, that are not known. Chinese quince (pseudocydonia sinensis) could perfectly grow in UK, since It can survive below -10 degrees Celsius, and i try to encourage to try new species in order to enjoy its beauty.
    My idea is to update my Telegram Channel regularly, and explain where they could be planted.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,328
    Pseudocydonia sinensis is offered by 2 British online nurseries... if I lived in a more suitable area I'd definitely be tempted.   :)  Thanks, @jaclaga1995.  
    Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.