Rose pruning

When would be the best time to prune Roses please?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,221
    What type of roses? HTs, bush, climbers, ramblers ... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,016
    Depends on the type of rose try searching RHS rose pruning this link will take you to shrub roses from there all types are listed so just another click hope this helps.
     https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=178

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,466
    I prune most of mine in February and March, even the ramblers. Ramblers should be pruned after flowering but I can't see what I'm doing with roses like Albertine because of the leaves. Prune hybrid teas hard and shrubs more lightly, taking out dead and crossing stems.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,827
    GW has a feature on pruning nearly every month, it should all be on the website if you look. Interesting to note when I did the RHS course, our lecturer, who also taught at Regents Park, said their Gardeners pruned Roses  right though the winter. Their stance was they had so much to do that they could not do the classic part prune to prevent wind rock & then the final prune in spring, so they just did the full pruning straight away whenever they got to a particular bed. (For those that are not familiar with Regents park they have dozens of large Rose beds).
    AB Still learning

• MeomyeMeomye Posts: 486
    Thanks for replies, sorry, I knew there were different types but I just assumed there were pruned at the same time, so I thought there would be a standard answer (how wrong was I) I am sure I normally do it about Feb. I have no idea what 'type' I have but I will follow the link gratefully received from H.H
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,160
    I prune right through the winter as well, any time when I'm in the mood. No problems so far.