Forum home The potting shed

Snowdrops in the wild - favourite places??

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,157
    Snowdrop Valley near Wheddon Cross in Somerset is wonderful.  There's a little minibus that, for a modest fee, drives to the valley (no cars allowed) and the walk through the woodland is magical in February.  
    I did also see some early, very large (cultivated) snowdrops  couple of weekends ago at NT property, Killerton, near Exeter, which will be followed by bluebells and wild cyclamen and primroses.  I look forward to them all - after the bleak winter months, they are a joy.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,030

I did also see some early, very large (cultivated) snowdrops  couple of weekends ago at NT property, Killerton, near Exeter, which will be followed by bluebells and wild cyclamen and primroses. 
    I've been to Killerton when the cyclamen are blooming - fabulous  :)
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    I don't think there are many places in Hampshire you can find wild snowdrops, but I'm happy be told otherwise.

A number of the large houses / estates in Hampshire have them and join the National Garden Scheme's Snowdrop Festival.

As a boy we lived in a small village in north of the county it had some ancient woodland where we use to play known as the piggery in spring the whole floor was covered in celandine,wild garlic, bluebells, and a myriad of other flowers the scent was amazing but I don't remember snowdrops even then.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,931
    Hodsocks Priory near Worksop has a lovely display in February. Not free, but at £3 for adults it is hardly going to break the bank. There is a walk around the woodland laid out. Dogs are not allowed. They also have some hellebores.

Hodsock priory is lovely but only open 9th to 17th Feb for this year's snowdrop season (usually it's the whole of February).  It's only about half an hour from me so I'll be trying to get there for a visit if the weather is reasonable on a day that I'm not working.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,500
    Don't forget your "Odd socks" Jenny. When we had a forum trip a few years ago, we all wore odd socks so we would recognise each other.   :D
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,484
    I'm wondering if the usual "snowdrop" events in February will be too late this year as many of my snowdrops are already flowering. I've heard Welford Park in Berkshire is stunning and the famous park near Cheltenham was fabulous when we visited a couple of years ago (sorry can't remember the name offhand). Lacock Abbey is another but of course you do have to pay. However there are usually lots of snowdrops on the road verges across the Cotswolds which are of course free to view. 
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,964

Welford Park in Berkshire is stunning 😀. Went there a couple of years ago.  Its where the bakeoff tent is in the summer too 🍰
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,484
    Beautiful photo. Will definitely plan a visit soon, I've been wanting to go there for ages.
  • Anyone in the Dundee/St Andrews area,  Barnfield,Cambo,near St Andrews. Absolutely stunning,many many different varieties,and a lovely wander through the woodland to the sea. Fabulous!
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • SarahKateSarahKate DevonPosts: 35
    Raisingirl.    Snowdrops and primroses and camellias all out in the garden and daffodils are blooming too along the banks on the way to Plymouth.