Snowdrops in the wild - favourite places??

Hi everyone
where are you favourite places to see snowdrops in. the wild.
Not at a property where you have to spend loads of money, but a normal woods area, like you would see bluebells.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,514
    Hodsocks Priory near Worksop has a lovely display in February. Not free, but at £3 for adults it is hardly going to break the bank. There is a walk around the woodland laid out. Dogs are not allowed. They also have some hellebores.
    It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,660
    Studley Royal is fab
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 49,669
    You’re in Norfolk ... the woods at Walsingham Priory are full of snowdrops  :D
    If winter comes, can spring be far behind? 

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 2,899
    edited 11 January
    a stretch of road beside the River Lowman known locally as "13 bends". The wooded verge between the stream and the road is full of snowdrops, usually in February
    "bandits and governments 'ave so much in common that they might be interchangeable anywhere in the world"
    Sir Terry Pratchett
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 49,669
    Hi everyone
    where are you favourite places to see snowdrops in. the wild.
    Not at a property where you have to spend loads of money, but a normal woods area, like you would see bluebells.

Unless it's Common Land everywhere is someone's property ... you can't just go wandering in 'wild woods'  ... even National Trust land might need an entry payment ... of course there may be public footpaths but you do have to stick to the path.  :)

Another place in Norfolk where you can see lots of snowdrops growing among and under trees is here http://raveningham.com/  it's the home of Sir Nicholas Bacon who is president of the RHS.

If winter comes, can spring be far behind? 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,797

My favourite is in Norfolk, Walsingham, but then I hardly know any others. I was bowled over by them.

Dordogne
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 13,107
    There’s a “13 bends” near us in Derbyshire but the road is only lined with old plastic bottles full of lorry drivers’s urine.🥴😞
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    pansyface said:
    There’s a “13 bends” near us in Derbyshire but the road is only lined with old plastic bottles full of lorry drivers’s urine.🥴😞
    oh that sounds lovely, pf. I shall think of it whenever I drive to Uplowman
    "bandits and governments 'ave so much in common that they might be interchangeable anywhere in the world"
    Sir Terry Pratchett
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 13,107
    😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
     :) 
    The hedges around here are predominantly beech, and the hedgebanks under the beech trees do have masses of wild snowdrops (and primroses and bluebells and foxgloves and cow parsley). The snowdrops and primroses come out later than in gardens generally, but they are completely free to view - although Highways do own the land, you don't have to pay to access them on foot.
    Sir Terry Pratchett