Forum home The potting shed

Seed sowing compost. Which is cheapest?

13»

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,518
    Hostafan1 said:
    Ireland has enough peat to burn millions of tons a year in their power stations: I can live with the guilt of my few bags of compost.
    Me too Hosta. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,511
    I like Levington pro M3 which is supposed to be used for potting on but I use it for everything.  It is peat based.  I did have a bag of Lidl once. Never again. I sieved out a third of it as large lumps and even found a 6 inch nail in it.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • SlumSlum Posts: 336
    Hostafan1 said:
    Ireland has enough peat to burn millions of tons a year in their power stations: I can live with the guilt of my few bags of compost.
    It isn't just a few bags that gardeners use. It is millions of cubic litres of peat used in our gardens each year which adds to climate change and destroys fragile ecosystems. It is easier to think our own choices don't make a difference I guess. Don't get me wrong, I used tomato grow bags last year that contained peat, I drive a car, I use plastics, I fly, etc. I think I may have started wondering about what level of personal guilt I can take or which choices I can make to reduce the harm I do without impacting on my lifestyle excessively. What I found last year was that I can grow healthy plants without peat so for me it is a simple change. 
  • Sorry to digress a little but I wondered please if anyone knew what % score the Jacks Magic received in the Which magazine compost test - as there are limited brands available in Ireland believe it or not. Many thanks Michael 
    Sorry to digress a little but I wondered please if anyone knew what % score the Jacks Magic received in the Which magazine compost test - as there are limited brands available in Ireland believe it or not. Many thanks Michael 
    It scored 90% for seeds but 61% for growing plants in containers. In other words good for seeds but rubbish for container plants.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,557
    I have been trying the Dalefoot composts which are based on composted Sheep wool & bracken. They are relatively expensive but I have found a GC in my area selling them at a reasonable price (much cheaper than by mail order). So far I am very pleased with the results for potting & growing in containers I have not tried the seed sowing version yet.
    AB Still learning

I’ve had a similar problem @allotmentboy. I've contacted a couple of local garden centres asking them to stock a high quality peat free compost such as the one you suggest or SylvaGrow. Sadly they weren’t interested. 
    That is where I am lucky the one in Enfield stocks the Dalefoot & another near St Albans stocks SylvaGrow. None of them stock Moorland gold though, mail order seems the only option for that one.
    AB Still learning

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,219
    Unless you are lucky enough to live in the Pennines, Allotment Boy...   o:)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    Unless you are lucky enough to live in the Pennines, Allotment Boy...   o:)
    I guess that's why its call Gods own country :D
    AB Still learning