Could you plant Allium bulbs now?

guttiesgutties N. IrelandPosts: 194
I see that JParkers have an offer (to get rid of their stock): 25 allium bulbs for £3

If the bulbs are planted this late in the season will they still flower this year or has the planting window been missed?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,337
    I bought a load and planted the between xmas and new year. I see no reason why they shouldn't flower
    Devon.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,197
    I have planted Alliums as late as March and they will still flower, although a bit later than usual. They will probably arrive with some roots. Just be careful not to break any roots or shoots when you plant them.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,827
    edited 11 January
    I have quoted this before but Garden Which did a trial recently of all sorts of bulbs, planting at the correct time and then in stages up to the following spring. In all cases the bulbs still flowered, in many cases the display was later / shorter or both but they all gave a worthwhile display.
    AB Still learning

• To add, as I am usually late with all bulb planting that you check that any are are not rotten. If they are still firm then plant them and as fidgetbones said be careful of the roots.
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,331

I have some alliums that have been in my pots for some time. (I actually discovered two more bags of Allimums I had mislaid over Xmas)

They seem to be doing well. Right now.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• SlumSlum Posts: 252
    Thanks for the heads up on this. I had 50 of these allium superglobe bulbs arrive from JParkers today. They'll be planted tomorrow. They also came with 8 free dwarf lupin plugs  :)