ID please. Shrub?

RachelmidlandsRachelmidlands Posts: 11
Hello and Happy New Year to all.
Can anyone identify this plant growing through the fence please. It’s in a car park in north staffs, fairly sheltered, South facing, flowers are pinker than the photo shows and it’s been flowering for a couple of weeks or more. Thought it could be quince but seems a bit early for it to be flowering? Any ideas?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,797
    It looks like flowering quince to me too.
    Dordogne
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 3,912
    From what I can see of it, it looks like it may be a quince
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • RachelmidlandsRachelmidlands Posts: 11
    Thanks both. I hope it’s quince. I would like to try take a cutting, would this work or better to wait and try to grow it from the fruit? 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 3,912
    You could try taking a cutting - this is the right time of year.
    Some info from the RHS here.
    If you grow from seed, it'll take some years before it gets big and it may not be the same as the parent plant.
    Coincidentally, it took me over an hour to dig a very old one out of my front garden yesterday. It had suckered over quite a wide area, so if you can find any rooted suckers nearby you can carefully dig up, you've got a ready-made cutting with roots!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 484
    Maybe Japanese quince (Chaenomeles)?  I used to have one that colour - I took it out because it suckered like a crazy thing.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,465
    My Chaenomeles had loads of fruit after the long hot summer last year. I made jelly with them - it's gorgeous! Well worth having and the flowers are pretty too. There is a pink one called 'Geisha Girl', I think.
  • RachelmidlandsRachelmidlands Posts: 11
    Great. I’ll try get a few cuttings but might wait a little because I’m enjoying the show of flowers. I’ll keep an eye out for suckers although the roots are behind the fence hidden in large thickets of other shrubs (on public ground so not stealing from someone’s garden:)) I was hoping it was Quince because I have a red flowering one at home. The dog likes picking the fruits and plays football with them. He’s a daft dog!