Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Metaldehyde Slug Pellet Ban Announced

The main constituent in conventional slug pellets, metaldehyde, is to be banned in 2020 announced. The reason cited is an unacceptable risk to wildlife. Metaldehyde based slug pellets will be withdrawn from sale in 6 months.

It will be legal to use metaldehyde based pellets after 2020 under cover – basically poly tunnel growing farmers, presumably with a licence to use pesticides.

I don't use these as metaldehyde is banned under organic standards.

Ferrous phosphate based pellets are my preferred slug control method. They work just as well if not better than metaldehyde pellets but in a different way. Metaldehyde causes the slugs to dehydrate leaving the trails of slime and dead bodies on the surface. Ferrous phosphate stops them eating so the slug goes back underground to die.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    all i can say is good and about time
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445
    long overdue

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 970
    Never use slug pellets on the open ground, only under protected covers of cabbage etc, but anything to avoid affecting other creatures, is welcome.
  • Like you cornelly I only ever use pellets in a controlled environment and very few if I'm having problems, on open ground I use nematodes if required.

Unfortunately some people chuck them around like sweets the ground can be blue with them.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • Metaldehyde is an organic compound with the formula (CH3CHO)4.

I know it is and have used for military purposes.

At one time was also issued in MOD field ration pack's not sure if it still is, or if you can buy it in UK as a camping fuel, but it is still manufactured by the Lonza Group

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023
    Metaldehyde has been banned in France.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 970
    When I saw people throwing handfuls of pellets, I did try and say that only a few were required, as the slug would eat a plant it wanted then come back for the pellets as dessert, total waste.
  • RubytooRubytoo Posts: 1,630

Like you cornelly I only ever use pellets in a controlled environment and very few if I'm having problems, on open ground I use nematodes if required.

Unfortunately some people chuck them around like sweets the ground can be blue with them.
    Hurrah! It is nice to know that any blue haze in the residents across the roads garden will in future be supplied by a more friendly version or by blue flowers.
    They also do the sweety sprinkle.

• ColinAColinA Posts: 392
    WHO MANUFACTURES FERROUS PHOSPHATE PELLETS. AND CAN THEY BE BOUGHT IN GARDEN CENTRES
  • There are many on the market I use Westland slug killer myself was about £6.00 for just over half a kilo when I brought it a year or so ago, not sure about it's shelf life but will last me for years the way I use it.