lelyandii hedge

Hi All,

I’m a novice gardener and i’m after some advice please.

We currently have a small (say 2 foot in height) box hedge (i think it’s box hedge) in the front garden separateing us from our horrendous neighbours. i’m sure the hedge is ours and within the boundary of our property but it’s hard to tell exactly from the plans - although i’m looking into this with the local authorities. 

we want to replace the hedge with Lelyandii, to provide us with much much needed privacy - the intention being to keep them at a reasonable hieght of 6ft (below the height at which next door could complain to the council for it being a ‘high hedge’).

If, as I think / am worried about, the border line of the property runs down the centre of the existing box hedge (so i’m not able to remove this hedge) can i plant lelyandii ‘within’ the existing box hedge?

I am hoping that that I would be able to ‘cut’ into the box hedge - not all the way through, say half way - so to create a space, such that i could dig out a hole at the base of the hedge for the new lelyandii plant (potted plants say 1 metre in height) and provide new top soil / fertiliser as required?

I’d not have the hassle of removing the existing hedge and would over time gain a much higher hedge providing us with the privacy we’d like. 

Would the newly planted lelyandii take to being planted like this? Or is this idea doomed to failure?

does anyone have any other suggestion?

thanks for any help / advice you and offer,

Mark

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,782
    if the box hedge is yours, IMHO you'd be better to remove it, get some organic matter into the ground and plant the new hedge. If you don't , the new plants will be fighting for root space amongst the established hedge . 
    Devon.
  • Remember that a hedge has two sides, and your neighbours will not appreciate having to cut their side and the top several times a year - and Leylandii grow sideways very rapidly. 
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,797
    I wouldn't plant Leylandii, it grows much too big and you can't cut into old wood as the green won't regrow. Therefore it's almost impossible to keep it at 6 foot, can reach 60 - 70 feet. They also grow pretty wide, 10 - 15 feet. I think Privet would be a better choice and much easier to keep to the right size.
    Dordogne
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,223
    Leylandii hedges , through incremental growth and despite regular trimming , will slowly increase in height and girth as cutting into 'brown wood' is not possible , unlike deciduous hedges . Will your 'good neighbours' be prepared to tackle what may become a formidable
    task in several years time ?

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 1,463
    My +1 vote against Leylandii.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,223
    edited 9 January
     No Leylandii trees have yet reached their full stature in the UK ; I dread to think !

Vote no:- 2 against !
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 4,838
    No,don't plant Leylandii - they grow into enormous trees - they grow far too big for your designated area ukz - also think of the shadow they will cast on either your or your neighbour's garden.  Would a fence be an option - this would provide instead privacy and you can grow some attractive plants along side it.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,087
    edited 9 January
    Vote No.3 against!
    I live near a 1970's housing estate where Leylandii were much in vogue at the time as a 'quick' hedge.
    The hedges that are still there are awful,most of them take up about 6-10ft of garden and one I have seen must be 18-20ft wide.
    I would go for a fence or at least some other sort of hedge.

My Mum's (horrible) neighbour has one about 30ft long and about 20ft high.The trunks are about 2ft from her fence and absolutely nothing grows on that side of the garden.The chap cut trimmed my Mum's side a couple of years ago and done nothing since,he even left all the cuttings for my Mum to clear up.She's in her 80's.Took us several hours to clean it all up.

so please NO LEYLANDII  :|
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,660
    another vote for no leylandii, remember they grow up AND out, within three years the hedge will be 3 foot thick and be adding 2-3 inches every year despite cutting, unless you want to use a machete to get to your front door think of another species, maybe Lonicera? you can get in a variety of colours and cuts very easily
  • ukzmchaukzmcha Posts: 5
    Thanks for all the comments everyone. Very much appreciated and you've given me real second thoughts on lelyandii... 

Does anyone have any other suggestions on my problem? We really want / need to increase the height of the existing hedge and have some real privacy from next door :(

pics attached... 

Thanks