propagator recommendation

2»

• BluebaronBluebaron Posts: 226
    I like the waitrose cloche. I suppose i could make my own propagator using that (£34) a tube heater (£30) and two lights (£40). Basally making the same thing for half the price with the bonus that i can use the cloche outside later in the season!

I think I've opened a can of worms here!..............
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,750
    Look at it as options :)

Here's the heated mat/thermostat with tray. The cloche fits over just inside the tray (far end lower staging)

Here's the Vitopod - no lights - and tubular heater on the ground just in case - as you can see it's easy to get overwhelmed with seedlings....

Good luck!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,690
    Pete, is that GH new or have you just cleaned it, mine never looks like that even after cleaning, within a few weeks it’s green again.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 967
    edited 9 January
    I use two Garland propagators in March. One is the super seven which can sit on a windowsill and I use for annuals, and the other is the larger three tray which I use for veg etc. They are not too expensive to run and I would not be without them.

i thought I would add, that as soon as they germinate, take them off the heat, and pot on as soon as the the second true leaves show above the cotyledon (those lovely plump little round leaves that appear first).
    SW Scotland
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,750
    Lyn said:
    Pete, is that GH new or have you just cleaned it, mine never looks like that even after cleaning, within a few weeks it’s green again.
    Hi @Lyn the photos above were from April 2017 so it was only 6 months old.
    It was all getting rather green last autumn, so I gave everything a good jet wash in Nov, and I'll give it another wash in the Spring (with a splash of Jeyes Fluid) before I start sowing - and I won't be sowing as much this year! (or so I promise myself...again)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,690
    Ah, so that was it’s first summer, they go green very quickly here as it’s always damp.
    mine will be pressure washed inside and out but no point yet. 
    Every year I say I won’t do so much, I really must try harder this year😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,013
    Like Pete.8 I have a Vitopod but I had to get a grow light as well to overcome the light issue. You should bubble wrap the greenhouse if you don't want to spend a fortune on keeping it frost free. I still agree with others though if you start too early & don't have a enough frost free space to move them on to you are in trouble.
    AB Still learning