Friend or Foe?.

hi I inherited this pot,there are some bulbs growing and this plant which is quite vigorous...is it a type of euphorbia or a weed?

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,362
    edited 8 January
    I think it's probably purple toadflax. A weed in the sense that it self seeds, but it's very pretty and not hard to manage. I would put it down as 'accidental friend' 
    To search for perfection is all very well, but to look for heaven is to live here in hell
  • Thanks
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,136
    It’s one of my favourite flowers, the bees adore it, I let it self seed anywhere it wants too.  You could plant that one out in the ground, the flower spikes can grow quite tall so don’t put it at the front of your border. 
    If you cut the flowers off from the bottom when they show signs of dying off it will flower again, constantly through the year. Very useful plant. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,492
    I'd get it out of your pot of bulbs asap as toadflax will soon grow very quickly and swamp the bulbs.
    I agree with Lyn, toadflax is a lovely plant with steely grey leaves and spires of purple flowers up to about 5ft for a very long period over summer if you cut the spires down when they're over.
    I have many in my garden and I also bought seed for toadflax Canon Went which has pink flowers
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks for your comments very helpful and I will take it out of the tub.