Blackbird

The garden in our new build home hadnt seen a bird in it since we moved in 18 months ago, but today we have had our first visitor picking off vibernum berries, but then it moved onto rooting about in my newly manured bed making a right mess and eating my lovely worms which were few and far between so joy short lived but it was still a welcome sight. I have planted an amelchanier tree as the blackbirds have enjoyed their berries in  our last 2 gardens so hope it will bring along it's mate later this year.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,399
    For a garden full of worms build a compost heap from pallets, throw some kitchen waste into it, a layer of newspaper then more kitchen waste.

Then get a couple of bags of hoss muck from a nearby stable and toss it onto the top.

Cover with a sheet of plastic.

Continue with newspaper and kitchen waste in layers. Keep the plastic cover on.

Wait a few months.

Open up the heap. It will be writhing with worms. So many you can even throw a few to your new friend.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,135
    I didn't think compost worms were the same as earth worms?
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,882
    Lizzie27 said:
    I didn't think compost worms were the same as earth worms?
    they're not but a well composted garden  will bring in the earthworms
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,033
    As you both say/agree.
    But mostly earthworms are hibernating if it is cold enough. Zero degrees? Though it is warm enough in places in the UK for some to be active?
    Worms in bins or wormeries can die off if they get cold. Poor little beggars freeze as they are high moisture content....aww....They survive in big heaps or sheltered wormeries
    Some earthworms delve deeper and hide.

Brought in from a big muck heap they may have been protected but if in the manure and it is not too cold= Birdie feast.
    I know there were worms in the big muck heap at a yard I used to go to, this all heats up so maybe the heat kept them going or also different worms?
    Never paid attention at the time.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 388
    edited 8 January
    I don't think my blackbird is bothered which sort of worm it's eating they were certainly active and wriggling! 🤔
    :D, very pleased for you they are finally moving in, I thought you were (only mildly) complaining they made a mess and pinched your worms.
    Think I would be wriggling if a blackbird got hold of me too. :D
    You are right @rubytoo I was sort of complaining, but I can put up with the mess if it means seeing birds again! Bonus today as Mrs Blackbird arrived for the cotoneaster berries. 
    Lovely!
    Do you think they might nest in your garden?
    I appreciate it is relatively new but sounds like you are getting a good range of shrubs in to entice them.
    Fingers crossed and hope you will be posting later in the year about little ones. 
    The garden is too small for next building but they might bring the family later on.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 1,897
    My "blackbird in residence" is quite fond of my crab apples, a welcome change from worms, I suppose.

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).