Has anyone got experience of creating a moss lawn?

I have a small circular lawn at the back of the garden which doesn't receive enough sun on about half of it (high fences etc) for the lawn to thrive.  Am considering sowing an Irish Moss lawn (sagina subulata) and have the seeds, but wanted some advice how to best go about this - preparation, timing etc, and how soon the lawn will be established - we are planning a party in the summer for a big birthday and will need to walk on it!  Many thanks 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 49,669
    edited 8 January
    Hi, I've never tried growing Irish Moss (Sagina subulata) as a lawn ... this is what I do know about it ...

Sagina subulata is a variety of Pearlwort, not a moss. 

It will cope with partial shade but not the deep shade that moss can cope with.

It's cousin, Sagina procumbens, can be a right PITA if it gets into borders etc.  No idea if S. subulata is as much of a nuisance. 

If winter comes, can spring be far behind? 

• adamadamantadamadamant Posts: 93
    Thanks dovefromabove.  I've checked out the website, thank you for pointing me in that direction.  I did realise it wasn't technically a moss but have it in between some paving stones and it seems to do well in certain positions so I will give it a go based on the website's advice .  If anyone else has thoughts I will be pleased to hear them.  
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,503
    They have used some in the Japanese garden where I volunteer. It was done because they can't get enough real moss to grow fast enough. They are using it as ground cover on beds not as a lawn to walk on, but as we have to go onto the beds to do other work it seems to be reasonably tolerant of being walked on.
    AB Still learning
    "As the days grow longer the cold grows stronger"
    Thanks dovefromabove, and Allotment Boy.  I've checked out the website, thank you for pointing me in that direction.  I did realise it wasn't technically a moss but have it in between some paving stones and it seems to do well in certain positions including being walked on, so I will give it a go based on the website's advice .  If anyone else has thoughts I will be pleased to hear them.  all the best
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 521
    edited 8 January
    This site has some advice on the kind of soil and preparation.
    It starts a little way down the page. I would think that the advice is as pertinent to Pearlwort as a truer moss.
    Don't know about establishment times perhaps Allotment Boy might be able to say.

I think the site is not UK but I found the information interesting. And there may be adverts and links that you can or should ignore.
    But the basic information about prep and growing I hope might be helpful until someone comes up with better.
    A good point in there about sandy soils not being very successful because it moves too much. I imagine that would be the same for Pearlwort.

https://www.mossandstonegardens.com/blog/how-to-grow-moss/

Good Luck with your moss alternative :)

(I am sort of experimenting with a moss area, I do not even know what moss I have. I keep forgetting to get around to identifying it.
    It grows and looks neat until the birdies pinch it in spring for nests). :D
    Thanks Rubytoo. will let you all know how I get on.