Bareroot roses pot size

pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 289
Good evening and a Happy New Year!

I have received two bareroot roses (a standard Harlow Carr and a shrub Munstead Wood) for my birthday. I’m going to plant them in pots, but I’m not sure about the space they would require. What size of pot would be ideal? I’m delighted with the roses (especially since they are strongly scented) and I don’t want to make any mistakes .

Thank you.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 14,400
    First thing to do is to soak the roots in a bucket of water to rehydrate them.  Do this asap.

Then you will see how wide the roots are and can choose your pot accordingly.   They don't want to be forced down into too narrow a pot nor spread out in too shallow a pot.   Usually, potted roses come in deep pots that are at least twice as deep as they are wide but that's a first phase pot in which they can establisha  new root system with all the little root hairs and from which they will be planted out or potted on. 

If yours are to stay in pots long term, I would go for 60cm wide and deep or deeper and I would use John Innes no 3 compost mixed with 10 to 25% multi purpose to aid water retention.   Be aware that even the best quality planting composts only have nutrients that last 60-90 days so they will need a weekly liquid feed once growth starts and up until mid July or so plus an annual spring top dressing of slow release fertiliser for roses or tomatoes to promote healthy growth and flowers.    
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 289
    Thank you so much, Obelixx. I already have a large pot that might be suitable. I’ll go out to buy another one today. I might move houses in a year so that’s why I would prefer them in a pot.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,798
    I have several David Austin roses in big pots, around 60cm high x 50cms. They need feeding and watering more often than roses planted in the ground though. I have climbers in pots too. There is a courtyard garden in the David Austin rose garden where all the roses are in large pots.
    Dordogne
    Thank you, Busy-Lizzie. I’ll make sure they get sufficient water in warm weather. Can hardly wait to see them in flower!
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 105
    I've struggled to find large enough pots around here, or looking online. 

The deepest pots I've found are still less than 60 and have been very narrow. That's looking in all the local garden centres and home stores.

I bought the best one I could find but it's still only really large enough for a patio rose.

If anyone finds a good place that sells large pots that aren't too dear let me know!
    I can buy plastic square and round pots here for about €30 for a big one (70cms tall) and less for smaller.   Some have holes, some don't so I just drill drainage holes in the bottom if needed.

Have a look here for UK pots -

https://www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk/pots-and-planters/decorative-planters?s=2#fb

https://www.homebase.co.uk/our-range/garden/pots-and-garden-decorations/pots-and-planters/plastic-pots-and-planters   

https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/large-plastic-garden-planters/vkot323wcsb68cu 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    I’ve bought some terracotta pots on offer in the local garden centre. They were still a bit pricey, but it’s not something I buy very often and they should last. 
    You can make them last longer by painting them with up to 3 coats of clear acrylic varnish.  More than 3 coats makes it go milky.

It helps waterproof them so they don't expand and crack in frosts.  If you want them to gain the patina of moss and algae as they age, just put the varnish on the inside, underneath and rim and make sure you stand them on pot feet or bricks.
    Thank you, Obelixx. I shall try to remember for the future. I do like the aged terracotta look, so I will probably go for the second option.