Alien-looking trailers & trees

edited 7 January in Plants
Good afternoon,
I have a house that looks pretty odd, a bit like a desert fortress had a child with a Victorian semi. The front garden is bare, faces SW, and I decided to go along the oddness by planting alien-looking, forbidding, or otherwise weird and unusual plants, especially trailers and trees.

But what are they that will survive a London winter? Sedum Morganianum (donkey's tail succulent), for example, would have been ideal, but they seem very borderline in hardiness, and likely on the wrong side of that line. Trawling catalogues give me a lot of cute, cottagey trailers, but they'd look out of place.

Thank you very much for your knowledge.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,883
    lets see some photos :) :) 
  • Sorry, not a very good one, but I'm abroad and that's the only one I have!
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,390
    I don't think your house looks odd at all!
    A very charming place to look at.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 885
    Love the look of your house! I think it deserves some colourful plants rather than alien-looking ones. Something to cheer you up and then you may not think your house is odd looking at all  :)
  • Oh, thank you very much, but I like the oddness :) I'd be very happy with the alien things!
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,721
    I like it! Now trying to think of suitable plants! I think it looks a bit gothic!
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,883
    euphorbias are quite alien looking.
    Great mix of styles in the house. love it
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 2,861
    I'd build a nice bike and bin store with a green roof. Is the building conservation graded at all? It's certainly got a lot of character.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 4,550
    edited 7 January
    Euphorbias (per Nut's suggestion) and Sempervivum's both have a slightly 'desert' look to them.

Both species contain a reasonably wide range of varieties with different leaf forms and colours. They're reasonably hardy for the winter and capable of withstanding periods of low rainfall / higher temps in the summer. Planted through different sized pebbles and small boulders, (perhaps some driftwood) might look quite good and would be low maintenance.

PS I like your house too🙂
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,502
    A Tetrapanax would add an alien look, though maybe a bit big

I love your house too :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.