Could Hydeangeas' roots damage wall/foundations?

Hello All.

I've recently moved into a new house and have what I think is a lovely Hydrangea placed outside the front of our house. There's another plant behind it but the majority of what you see in the photo is the Hydrangea. I'm worried about the roots damaging/infiltrating the wall it backs onto and am considering removing it. Does anybody have any experience with this? Are the roots strong enough to penetrate?

Many thanks,

Derek

• BerghillBerghill Posts: 3,020
    Hydrangeas do not have particularly strong roots. You should be safe enough with it there.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,331
    that's the traditional place for a hydrangea. I'm no expert on the pruning but that doesn't look well done to me, I'm sure someone else will advise
  • Del_GriffithDel_Griffith Posts: 134
    No, it won't damage the foundations.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 2,336
    I agree it will not damage your wall, but it would be best to know what the other plant is, that is actually growing behind it. May not be suitable, as it will be covered up in the summer months.
  • Del_GriffithDel_Griffith Posts: 134
    Ah.. I didn't see that (cause I didn't click on the photo)... is it a Sambucus?
  • MarmotFriendMarmotFriend Posts: 4
    Thanks for the replies so far - I'll try and take some photos of the plant behind it as it's hard to tell without any leaves at the moment
    I've tried to take a photo of the mystery plant (nearest the wall). Any ideas? It's quite hard to differentiate between the Hydrangea and the other plant. I think I'll dig out the other plant as it's probably a weed and would like to err on the side of caution 

Thanks
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 49,669
    edited 11 January
    That looks to me like an elder tree seedling that has been hacked back over several years.  You’re absolutely right, it needs to come out. 
    If winter comes, can spring be far behind? 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,782
    I second elder, and advice to remove.
    Devon.
    Thanks for the advice - I'll remove it and leave the Hydrangea - thanks again for taking the time to read