Bare root arrivals!

Tin potTin pot Posts: 723
I’ve just had 5 cornus sanguinae (45-60cm) and 2x blueberry goldstraub (9cm pots) delivered :smile:

Not that Im panicking from the label but, I should plant/pot them up this afternoon right?

1. I seem to remember hearing you should soak the rootballs in water for an hour first - is that true only for planting as opposed to potting?

2. Im putting the blueberries in pots with some ericaceous (+ leaf mould/potting grit?) so they’ll go from a 9cm pot to just a little bigger 10 or 12?

3. The dogwoods I want to go straight in the ground (Kent, ground not frozen, a balmy 11° today with a low of 2° on Wednesday night).  Add a little home compost to the hole, plant then mulch?

Your expertise is always appreciated!

Thanks,

TP

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,817
    I think it is a good idea to soak the roots before planting a weak seaweed solution is ideal but not essential. If you can't plant properly then heal them in in a spare patch of ground until you can.
    AB Still learning

• Tin potTin pot Posts: 723
    I think it is a good idea to soak the roots before planting a weak seaweed solution is ideal but not essential. If you can't plant properly then heal them in in a spare patch of ground until you can.
    Well I’ve soaked them in rain water for about half an hour, planted them, wiggled them, watered, a little pressing to get the air gaps out, covered with soil, then a homemade wood chip mulch.

I could add compost, leaf mould or blood/fish/bone.

Hopefully they’ll survive. :)

Only watered the blueberries.

The two larger ones went in on jan 1st. The three smaller ones arranged around the white frame are the ones just put in.

Had a little help from baby ;)

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,136
    A future gardener?  The plants will be fine. Just keep your eye on them and if you don't get a lot of rain, water them , then mulch well.
    Lizzie27 said:
    A future gardener?  The plants will be fine. Just keep your eye on them and if you don't get a lot of rain, water them , then mulch well.
    Thanks, will do.

Perhaps you can see a glimpse of my plan?  As I can’t get sun behind them,  I’m using white paint on the wood to give them a background they can shine against.  Once the rest of the fence is up and the cornus grown, I’m secretly optimistic about next winter :wink:
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,710
    IMO all newly planted plants need watering straight away, do not wait for rain.
    Time slide, place to hide, nudge reality
    Foresight, minds wide, magic imagery, oh-ho...
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,239
    Agree, generous watering at planting time and thru dry spells in their first spring and summer.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Okay, will do.  I just worry about watering in winter and early spring.  I had all my dahlia tubers turn to mush last year  :'(
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,648
    Dahlias are very different from hardy shrubs, Tin pot. Shrubs need watering well until established.
    If you're in a dry part of the country, you can't rely on winter rain alone, especially if the ground has been dryish through autumn as well. If they're lacking moisture going into spring and summer, it's hard to get them rehydrated and growing away well at that point, so just make sure they're ok for the next few months  :)
    And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

Okay, so through jan and Feb how should I gauge the frequency/volume of watering.

Im thinking putting two full watering cans on them (7 dogwoods) twice a week if it’s not been raining, for example.