Fork and spade wooden handle replacement

I have a fork and spade with broken wooden handles and need to find a replacement service to fit new ones. Ideally not too far from Hants/Wilts/Berks as postage will be a pain.

Any ideas or leads would be welcome. (I do not want to fit them myself so am looking for a craftsman out there who can do it).

Many thanks

C

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 526
    edited 7 January
    I would try looking for local forges or blacksmiths.
    When I looked for tool mending I came up with not a lot. Places like mower repairs often do pruning tool sharpening. So if they do not do handle type things might know of someone local who does the kind of repair you want?
    Not a lot of help. I cannot do a good repair myself, handles can be tricky to fit correctly hence your asking too I guess.
    Good Luck. Hope modern blacksmiths are not too posh to repair garden tools.

(I put, forges smithy hampshire wiltshire, into a search and got two that might be /look workable in the first few search results).
    )

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 49,710
    Not your area, but at least he's in the south ... if you don't want to pay postage maybe contact him and see if he knows of anyone who offers a similar service nearer to you ...  these chaps often have an informal 'network' .

Good luck :)

If winter comes, can spring be far behind? 

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 526
    Not your area, but at least he's in the south ......  these chaps often have an informal 'network' .

Good luck :)

That is the thing I was trying to convey Dove, networking :)
    Also never sure if we are allowed to give links, sometimes I do ....sometimes not.
    For example there is one says restoration but does that mean tools too. No mention of it on the site yet they look and say traditional, only things shown are a million examples of old gates and railings.

• ColinAColinA Posts: 186
    Try agricultural/horticultural suppliers also joiners may be able to help
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 13,111
    This is a bit of a round the houses answer but here goes anyway.

There is an organisation called Tools for Self Reliance

https://www.tfsr.org/contact-us/

which is based in Southampton but has a group of volunteers up here in Derbyshire, so it’s not limited to Southampton.

They renovate tools that are donated to them and send them off to Africa in huge containers.

Perhaps, if you contacted them they could tell you of a local person with the necessary skills in return for a donation to their cause.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Del_GriffithDel_Griffith Posts: 134
    It is very simple to do yourself. 
    Try asking at somewhere like b n q or a local garden centre.
    Having said that after all the hassle and cost you might be better just buying new tools?
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 1,810
    pansyface said:
    This is a bit of a round the houses answer but here goes anyway.

There is an organisation called Tools for Self Reliance

https://www.tfsr.org/contact-us/

which is based in Southampton but has a group of volunteers up here in Derbyshire, so it’s not limited to Southampton.

They renovate tools that are donated to them and send them off to Africa in huge containers.

Perhaps, if you contacted them they could tell you of a local person with the necessary skills in return for a donation to their cause.

TFSR also look for volunteers to renovate the tools they receive. They'll train you in how to repair and maintain tools for a return in labour hours to help them out. They have a local branch in Crickhowell. I'm not sure if they do part-ex but you might be able to trade a broken tool against a renovated one.