Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Garden erosion

Hi

Me and partner bought a new build around 2 years ago. The garden was built up about a metre to meet the patio from the house. Over time the garden has started to erode and drop further down the garden. I’ve built a retaining wall at the bottom of the garden and filled a space between the retaining wall and garden with 40mm stone for drainage. When I was completing this job I notice that the builder had put down weed sheet then put around a foot of top soil and turfed the area. The ground underneath the sheet is just spoil from digging out other jobs by the looks. With the wall installed, how do I stop the erosion continuing if I lift the turf, put more top soil down and re turf? Any help would be much appreciated 

• DarleydameDarleydame Posts: 18
    edited January 2019
    You aren't the only one @pansyface. I expect everyone is struggling to understand this post judging by the lack of answers.
    @yorkie_11 Dont understand what you mean by erosion. Do you mean the earth is moving downhill or is the garden settling and compacting? 

• IamweedyIamweedy Posts: 1,364
    Erosion as such is usually caused by water running through the soil . Are there any small streams about.?
     Where I live there are a number of shifting sands near a mere and in one road several holes have appeared over the time. I dont want to scare you but it could cause damage.to your foundations .
    Is your garden on much if a slope? The water could still be running through. 
    What is the soil like.? 
    Are there good drainage holes at the base of your wall.?
    A metre of wet soil could need proper drainage pipes at the bottom of the mound of soil.
    Good luck with that.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'