Forum home Plants

How do I deal with a growing Echiveria?

My Echiveria “Duchess of Nuremberg” is about 4 years old now. This is a photo taken in the summer. It winters successfully in an unheated greenhouse. It’s beautiful and each “branch” is about to flower again as it does each winter. My problem is that the “branches” (or whatever they are called?) are getting very heavy and I’m wondering whether to break them off and try propagating them. Have searched internet, unsuccessfully for advice. 
Any ideas please?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,580
    I think the whole flowering shoot is unlikely to root, but you could have success with leaf cuttings. Detach the leaves from the stem , let the cut bit dry and then stand up in very gritty compost or sand.
     There are videos on youtube if you google " Echeveria propagation from leaves."

• Thanks. Yes I’ve read about the leaf cuttings but unsure how the main plant is going to cope with the weight. Not sure if I should leave be or remove to stop the plant being damaged or repot in the spring. Can’t find a picture of any other plant that has got to this size. 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,580
    If you want to keep the flower stalks, I would use a thin bamboo cane tied to each flowering stem.
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053
    I think you should successfully root the top of a branch. Cut the whole branch off carefully and then strip some of the lower leaves from under the top rosette so you have the rosette and then a bare bit of trunk. Cut the top off leaving about 1-1.5 inches of trunk attached to the rosette. Leave to callus over for a few days then pop into a pot with very gritty compost. Keep damp and it should root after a few weeks.  You should also be able to root bits of the branch following the same procedure. They should root (but never be a thing of beauty) and then produce offsets round the top which can then all be grown on to a sensible size, then be decapitated and rerooted  and so on...……..
    I would wait until the spring before doing any of the above. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,536
    The long stems are not flower stalks.The tips of these should root well as will the leaves.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Thanks. That sounds worth a try. Will also pot on into a slightly bigger pot in spring to give it more space.