Forum home Plants

roses. help them do well.

new to roses and looking for any tips to help get a nice bloom this summer, I pruned my roses last October right down, I have just noticed new shoots coming through both bushes, do I feed them now? do I protect them from frost any tips would be great.

• Gail_68Gail_68 Staffordshire_UK (Zone 4)Posts: 38
    edited January 2019
    Hi @jacqueline-22 there's no need to cover roses in the winter..i have two  which I cut low in autumn like yourself but I do feed them twice a year as it does help them...I fed them in the spring around april and again in September for the winter.

I've found this is a good for all my plants as I do them all at the same time and they come lovely...you can see how my rose tree came from autumn into summer :)

• wow beautiful, looks really healthy I have some food I will feed in early spring then and see how they go.. fingers crossed :)  thanks.
    wow beautiful, looks really healthy I have some food I will feed in early spring then and see how they go.. fingers crossed :)  thanks.
    Jacqueline that rose is called "A paler shade of White" with a beautiful scent in the summer...wishing you the best as you seem to be doing things right :)
  • thank you:)
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,446
    I used to use Toprose fertiliser when I lived in England. Here in France I use an organic fertiliser specially for roses. I use it in Spring, then after the first flowering. I don't protect my roses either in winter. Mine aren't making new shoots though, too cold here, too early. Keep them dead headed in summer.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    I used to use Toprose fertiliser when I lived in England. Here in France I use an organic fertiliser specially for roses. I use it in Spring, then after the first flowering. I don't protect my roses either in winter. Mine aren't making new shoots though, too cold here, too early. Keep them dead headed in summer.
    I keep mine dead headed also in the summer :smile:
  • thank you, roll on spring! the tiny shoots are getting bigger, looking forward getting back in the garden :)