Squirrel proof bird feeders

hello, happy new year to everyone. I haven't been on here for quite a while and have just had a lovely bird feeding station for Christmas. I put out mealworms for the Robin and also sprinkled some where the Blackbirds forage but the following day, the container was empty. While we don't have squirrels, we do have an abundance of Magpies and Jackdaws and it was these birds that ate all the food (i saw them on the feeder). I looked online and can see that you can buy a squirrel proof feeder to enable small birds to feed in peace but i'm not sure if the bigger birds will still be able to access the food. I don't wish the bigger birds any harm but they are bullies and don't need as much feeding as the smaller birds during winter. Can anyone advise me on the best way forward ??

thank you
shazza

• lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 288
    Hi Shazza, I've got a bird feeding station. For the meal worms I've got a dome feeder. You can change the height of the roof on it to suit the different sizes of birds. I've got mine set so that only robins can perch on edge and eat.
    I get a lot of wood pigeons so I just leave a little seed for them on the tray section and twist the other feeders around on the station pole so that they can't reach.
  • shazza 3shazza 3 Posts: 58
    hiya, thanks for the reply. i'm going to have a good look at the item you suggested. hopefully, that way the bigger birds can have the leftovers which end up on the garden and the small birds will be left in peace and with food. 

cheers, shazza
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,160
    Hi shazza - this is a topic which comes up regularly, as it's a common problem.

I made a simple cage to put round a couple of feeders, which allows the small birds in and keeps the bigger ones, and squirrels, out. Chicken wire, or similar is quite easy to work with if you're handy. Mine is made of plastic coated wire, and is a bit fancier, but there are lots of feeders with cages available. I find the cages are often a bit small and the starlings can still access food, as they can get their heads through and reach the feeding ports, so have a look around before deciding.

We get a lot of wood pigeons and magpies in particular, and they can wolf down the lot very quickly leaving nothing for the little birds which we have here in abundance. 
    I put food out on the ground for those big birds, and it means they all get plenty.  :)
    Oh the devil in me said, go down to the shed
    I know where I belong

• cornellycornelly Posts: 539
    We kept the squirrels off the feeding station by greasing the pole, they only tried the once to climb, never came back
    thanks for all the replies. my problem is Magpies and Jackdaws not squirrels. i'm going to have a look at all the items suggested and decide which is suitable

cheers, shazza 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 13,538
    A bit pricey, but we got one of these years ago and it works a treat. Also good to put over plants in the summer to keep the pesky pigeons off.

https://shopping.rspb.org.uk/ground-feeders/ground-protector-wide-mesh.html?ClickType=Image&ListType=&ListName=&Position=14

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    that's a good idea, it will also discourage (hopefully) any rodents from entering and eating leftovers. we have an occasional problem with rodents as we live surrounded by fields and next door always throws bread into his garden. i don't mind paying a little bit extra because i had money for xmas/birthday that i haven't yet spent !!! 

thanks  
  • We have a plague of squirrels!  And they can figure out almost anything we do to keep them out.  They are smart.  So, we resorted to copying this design on youtube.  Is it possible to find out how small the pipe rings would have to be to keep the large birds out while allowing the little ones to feed and move freely in and out?  We have Starlings and they had to be taken into consideration as they are very aggresive and eat everyhing we put out during the winter months.  Between the rodents and the Starlings, we have had to be quite creative. Good luck...and thanks for feeding the little ones.  
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 11,703
    For the food on the ground I got a wire hanging basket, then put extra wires between what was already there.
    i use these for the hanging feed.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squirrel-Proof-Bird-Feeders-Cage-Set-of-3-Pigeon-Proof-Anti-Squirrel-Hanging/292558008948?epid=1142320927&hash=item441dd0f274:g:dh0AAOSwZphZ1M7k
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose.