Bird nesting box

I would love to put up a bird box in my garden. But, I've read that boxes must be put at least 6ft high. The only wall I have that is really high is the side of my house and that is west facing, gets very hot in the summer. I don't think have any huge trees, just a semi deciduous cotoneaster tree, a hawthorn sapling and an upright ornamental cherry. Any suggestions please?

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,081
    Think outside the box. Your garden might not be suitable for nest boxes but there's plenty of wildlife value in any garden just waiting to be enhanced. Your west facing wall is ideal for a bat box for example. Nose about the neighbourhood and see what's missing or what would most benefit the local wildlife.

If you're stuck on the idea of providing nesting opportunities though then have a look at boxes for things like robins or wrens that don't mind nesting low down in dense shrubs.The schwegler wren ball nest box is a great little unit if you have suitable bushes or similar to hide it in (and if you have wrens about of course).
  • Tin potTin pot Posts: 744
    I would love to put up a bird box in my garden. But, I've read that boxes must be put at least 6ft high. The only wall I have that is really high is the side of my house and that is west facing, gets very hot in the summer. I don't think have any huge trees, just a semi deciduous cotoneaster tree, a hawthorn sapling and an upright ornamental cherry. Any suggestions please?
    I was just thinking the same thing, my fence is six foot high - can you nail one on there?  

We had robins in my neighbours tree  last year but he’s hacked half of it down  so there’s no foliage/cover.  I think I saw one out the front the other day.

its a shame as they always took advantage of my digging to feed up on bugs.
  • lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 314
    Tin Pot, I thought of putting it on fence but I'm worried the neighbours cat will get to it.

Wild Edges, there's something about bats that freak me out, not sure I'd want them living in my garden😄. 

I get mainly robins, blue tits and I think a wren comes occasionally and blackbirds. 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,081
    Bats are just furry birds if you don't think about it too hard. :)