Forum home Garden design

Ideas for making a path

2»

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    I use road scalping's at the allotment.

You could possibly do the same they are hard wearing and look like an old ash path once down and weathered I would not bother with an edge just bring the garden to the path and let the plants drift over the edge slightly.

I found the best way is to use a ground support fabric not weed suppressing fabric below then I used 75mm depth on top of this and just waked it down.

again not cheap at £35 per tonne and I estimate you would want 8 tonne's for a path
    90cm wide 75mm deep and 60 m long + the fabric.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,393
    For that length, gutties, I think a simple timber edge and bark will be the cheapest and easiest option for you.
    Buy heavy duty timber from a timber/builders' merchant and it won't be too expensive. Use the wider size - 4 inch [100mm] is too narrow, get the 6 inch [150mm] stuff. Depending on your circumstances, you can buy longer lengths and have it delivered, or shorter lengths that you can put in your own car. 
    You can cut it easily with a saw for doing the curves. You'll need some battening for knocking into the ground to support the timber, but that can be scraps you already have, or just battening [2 inch by 1 inch approx] which you can also get from the same place. 
    I've done something similar here, but my paths are gravel, and the edging has a top on it to form raised beds.  :)

I've also got a couple of borders [one is just visible in that pic] which, like Picidae,  made use of granite setts already in and around the garden.
    Picidae's path is really beautiful, but requires more work.  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,975
    Depending on where you are and the style of your garden, you could use thick branches lying on the ground to form the edges. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • guttiesgutties N. IrelandPosts: 218
    Thanks everyone for their comments.

Fairygirl, what you described is what I did with my first path.  I bought 4x1 inch planed timber for the sides and used 2x2 to make stakes for fixing the 4x1 to the ground.

I had thought about maybe doing something different for this next path, but I think that doing it this way again is really the only cost effective way of doing it (even though we all agree that Picidae's really is beautiful!)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,393
    It's a simple way of doing it, gutties, and you can always embellish it or upgrade it in future.  :)
    Another way is to use round poles, cut to length and put in vertically in a bed of concrete. That makes the curves easier to achieve, and they won't need battening at the back if they're not high. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,057
    Gutties, have you thought of using stepping stones in your horseshoe shape? it occurs to me that if you want borders both sides, you could use the stepping stones to wander through (I did something similar in my late mother's woodland garden). Unless you need a path for a wheelbarrow, it would not be so costly and it would be easier and quicker to lay. Just a thought!