Favourite gardening / nature books

I'm really enjoying listening to nature books while I'm out in the garden these days. Some of the ones I've enjoyed most this year are: 
Wilding - the story of a project in Knepp West Sussex, to 'rewild' a farm. 
Wild signs and star paths - an exploration of the many natural signs we have forgotten
The Running Hare - the author restores a field to traditional farming practices
The Hidden Life of Trees - all the stuff you didn't know about trees!

What are your favourites?

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 526
    Geoff Hamilton's Cottage Gardens.

A great little book that has a bit of everything. It covers a history of cottage gardening, and has detailed but simple instructions for a variety of items like how to make a beehive look alike composter, not sure how good it might be but it did look pretty.
    A tool store with a lid that can be propped level to use as a potting bench, obelisks and benches to sit on. Coldframe, etc.

Also some garden layout ideas so you can plan for different shapes of garden.
    Along with the artisans garden are more expensive options for a "gentlemans" garden for those with more money to spend.
    A section about plants.

Just a general nice book to read and look at along with some practical advice.
    I always liked him.

• Rose121Rose121 Posts: 107
    Oo - I'll add that to the 2019 reading list! Thanks Rubytoo!
  • PoddingtonPPoddingtonP Posts: 196
    I love The Moreville Hours by Katherine Swift. Lovely winter reading when it's too nasty to get out in the garden. Also Sarah Raven's Wild flowers. Lovely pictures. 

I've just finished The Jewel Garden by Monty and Sarah Don which I really enjoyed too. 
    Rose121 just looked up Wild signs and star paths on Amazon. Looks really good but out of stock 😞
    I think it was probably a Christmas fave - audiobook version is also good if you enjoy listening? You can read and garden at he same time that way... :)
    I had a look at the Moreville Hours the other day and wondered if it was good - thanks for the recommendation!
    Audiobook is a good idea! I have just got into listening to podcasts while gardening so I might just do that. Thanks! 

Has anyone read The Prickotty Bush by Monty Don? He made a reference to it in the Jewel garden so thought I would look it up... It's out of print and old copies going for £200 on Amazon 😲

Wondered whether it was worth trying to get it from the RHS library. 
    Wow - that's pricey. Surprised they've not done a reprint or a Kindle version. 
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 526
    Rose121 said:
    I'm really enjoying listening to nature books while I'm out in the garden these days. T
    The Hidden Life of Trees - all the stuff you didn't know about trees!

What are your favourites?
    Funny you should mention that Rose, I was listening to the radio last week, and caught part of an interview on R4 Today programme with the author.  I didn't realize it was a book as I was not paying complete attention. But just looked it up and there it is, interesting.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 7,754
    edited 1 January
    The Prickotty Bush is one of my favourite books ever - got a second hand copy years ago, when you could still get them for under a tenner.  Well worth trying to get from the library.

Loved the Morville Hours and the Morville Year too.

Another good one in the same vein is Anna Pavord’s The Curious Gardener.  And Mirabel Osler’s A Gentle Plea for Chaos is really good too.

And finally, more wildlife than gardening, but the best book I read last year was Fingers in the Sparkle Jar by Chris Packham......very moving.

Off to investigate Wilding now .....
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.