Forum home Tools and techniques

Using wheelie bin as compost bin

My council is starting to charge for garden waste collection and I would like to turn my bin into a compost bin , could it be as simple as drilling a few holes in and sticking waste in?  Would it be better just to buy a purpose built one. I would probably mess up anything slightly more complicated than sticking a few holes in so don T want to mess around putting hatches etc in 

• Rose121Rose121 Posts: 132
    I know soil contact at the base is recommended when composting, but I'm not sure if it's essential.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,420
    I think these bins might remain the property of the council so don't tell them :) 
    I use mine as a water butt

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,336
    I suspect it wouldn't compost nearly as well as a purpose built bin and it would soon fill up and then where would you put your garden / kitchen waste? Also how would you get the compost out? A wheelie bin full of compost (effectively soil) would be very, very heavy.

If you want to be independent from the council collections I would suggest making proper compost heaps or using proper bins. If you want to use the wheelie bin in some way you could use it as a 'collection' bin. You can throw in all your large prunings / leaves etc and every couple of weeks just turn it out onto the lawn and run the lawn mower over it to chop everything up before adding the choppings to the compost heap. Chopped stuff composts much quicker.

I certainly wouldn't start just drilling holes in your wheelie bin without clearing it with your LA first. Our wheelie bins remain the property of the council and are regarded as being on loan to the householder, who is required to leave them for the next householder when they move. They may want garden waste bins back if you don't pay the premium for collection.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • If the council want bins back they should collect them. The only reason why I don't compost already is because of the space all the bins take up in the garden.  All for recycling but think charging to uplift something they sell on is a bit much ...
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150
    I'm pretty sure that the wheelie bins remain property of the council.
    A proper compost bin would be better. 
    Contact the council to come and take the wheelie bin away if it's taking up space. One of my neighbours (with wall to wall concrete) did just that when they were introduced here. You could even ask if they have a scheme where you can swap it for a compost bin.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    My council is starting to charge for garden waste collection and I would like to turn my bin into a compost bin , could it be as simple as drilling a few holes in and sticking waste in?  Would it be better just to buy a purpose built one. I would probably mess up anything slightly more complicated than sticking a few holes in so don T want to mess around putting hatches etc in 
    Might not be perfect but yes I think it would work and be better than no compost.

Be aware that you might generate garden waste that you don’t want in your compost though - weeds and their seeds mostly.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,461
    I think it depends on where you live - a couple of my neighbours got rid of their green waste bins and the council were quick to come and collect them. Tbh l agree with Kitty, get rid of it as it's only taking up space and get a proper compost bin. Some councils supply them for a reasonable price (the darlek type), or you could always make your own out of old pallets. 
  • RubytooRubytoo Posts: 1,591
    I got a used but practically new compost dalek from the local tip, for a fiver. (Oops sorry "Recycling Centre)"  Sometimes they have several, sometimes none :(

AnniD said:
    I think it depends on where you live -
    l agree with Kitty, get rid of it as it's only taking up space and get a proper compost bin.
    Unwanted or unused bins are a pain we also don't have a lot of space to store the darn fugly things. I pity the people who have to have three or more with no room or choice.

I hope your council will take it away for you, or release you from having to keep it.
    Apology for mini wheelie bin rant.

We recently bought two of the Blackwall brand of daleks and they seem a bit rubbish and thin compared to the simple daleks our local council used to provide at a discounted price. They are through a council scheme in partnership provided by a company.

I know you get what you pay for, but just thought it worth a mention. We will see if they last.
    Happy composting :)
  • Gail_68Gail_68 Posts: 38
    Hi members i'm knew here :) 

We've got the same here charges for emptying your green bin, so we use ours now for the same usage but put in it thick bags and hubby is taking the garden rubbish down the local tip.
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150
    Gail_68 said:
    Hi members i'm knew here :) 

Hi @Gail_68 🙋. Welcome to the forum.