How do I care for Christmas cactus

Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 254

I was given a Christmas cactus but it has no care label so I am not sure how I need to look after it or the conditions it needs to flower. It had a few flowers when I got it but those have gone over, but although there are lots of buds it hasn't produced any more flowers yet. How should I be caring for this so it survives and how should I look after it to ensure flowers this year and again next year? Where is the best place to position it in the house? 

• widgetwilk annwidgetwilk ann North NorfolkPosts: 65
    I would say lots of light, I have mine on a table in front of patio windows, and I think not much water, they take a while for the buds to come out, but please wait for the experts but think light is most important.
  • Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 254
    I have mine on my kitchen window sill as it's the brightest room and warmest room in the house. The pot still feels quite heavy so I am assuming it was watered well before I got it! 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,049
    Mother in law had hers in the bathroom. Heat, moist air and light. Never move it if possible when in bud , as the buds are likely to fall off. Hope this helps.😁
  • Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 254
    I'll try that thanks for the tips. 
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 5,132
    I watered and fed mine as the buds were forming and until it was flowering, and then cut out the feed.  Just an egg cup of water a week, cutting the watering down to once a month after the flowers start to go over.  It needs plenty of light and turn the pot once a week after the plant has finished flowering. Never let the compost become wet, just a very slight dry to damp is all the plant requires.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,945

My son gave me mine years ago for Mothering Sunday. It thrives on neglect as I often forget to water it. But I do feed it and water it more when I see the buds coming. I haven't re-potted it for years as it has grown too big for me to get it out of the stand that it's in. Light must be the key as it's by a south facing glass door to the garden (which is never opened). I don't know how it produces so many flowers every year on such a meagre diet.

Not the best photo as it was nearing the end of flowering. The flowers were huge this year though.

Dordogne and Norfolk
    What a beautiful plant! It obviously loves where it is @Busy-Lizzie. Yes they do seem to do well if treated mean.😁 Have you ever taken leaves off to make new plants, mother in law was always taking the long ends off and potting them on.😁
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,945
    I have, but the new plants didn't do so well as the original one. Maybe I overwatered them.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    Did you leave them unplanted for three days to harden before planting? That's the tip I've been told to do by the expert grower. 
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 5,132
    Yes that plant is beautiful Busy-Lizzie, I have just had mine a year now, it is thriving too and flowered profusely in Oct/November this year, probably due to the mild summer and autumn we have just had. 
    I didn't know that you had to leave the picked shoots to harden for three days before planting purplerallim - thanks for the tip.