Sowing radish in module trays

Has anyone tried starting radish off in module trays?  I have very successfully started beetroot in black module trays for the last couple of years - sowing the seeds into the trays, putting the trays in a cold greenhouse until the seedling roots fill the module and then planted out as normal, however in G.W. mag it says you can also start radish off in the same way - has anyone tried doing this?

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,402
    I think it is the same idea GD - I grow my beetroot like you do - transplanted into prepared ground without any disturbance to the root.  I must admit, I tend to grow Radish in troughs but I do sow them in cells first -  works for me. 
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 4,849
    I am keen to try this method - radish seed is fairly cheap to buy so a few sown early will be worth experimenting with.  Do you sow your seed at a particular time philippa - early, mid or late season?  I thought of starting mine off in March, they shouldn't take long to germinate in the greenhouse.

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,402
    I'd do mine in 3 lots - only had a cold g/h so I'd do the first lot in April and go on from there.  
    Runnybeak is a keen radish fan - a PM to her would elicit some good advice I think
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 494
    I did radish in trays around March and then planted them out in June at the front of the veg border with lettuce. I don't like them much, but they do taste more peppery than the bland watery radishes the supermarkets sell.
    SW Scotland
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 4,849
    Thanks for sharing your experiences with us - now growing radish in modules doesn't appear to be such a bad idea after all - I will definitely give this method a try and also contact Runnybeak for more advice.