Fast moving worm like creature

Does anyone know what this is? A worm like creature resembling an earth worm about 7.26cms long it moves at an incredible speed it/they have been sighted twice in different parts of the garden

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,605
    millipede or centipede possibly?
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • PicidaePicidae RutlandPosts: 685
    About 7.26 cms long. Can you be more specific!?
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,512
    edited December 2018
    Centipede or millipede maybe?

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,063
    Does anyone know what this is? A worm like creature resembling an earth worm about 7.26cms long it moves at an incredible speed it/they have been sighted twice in different parts of the garden
    "About 7.26cm long" :D accuracy to 0.1mm is something I admire in an approximate description. Are you sure it wasn't a worm? They're rapid movers when they want to be.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Slow worm, young snake possibly. 

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • 3 inches = 7.62 cm, so I suspect that Valerie has converted to metric for some reason, made a type, and added false precision at the same time
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,063
    Slow worm, young snake possibly. 
    It would have to be a freshly 'hatched' slow worm to be that small and baby snakes would be bigger again. What time of year were they seen? A lot of creepy crawlies will be dormant at the moment.
  • Ok to be clear it was about 3 inches long! And seen in the garden this morning 27/12 and one day last week. 
    I live in North Nottinghamshire 
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    @wild edges as you say to small for baby snake, I'm still finding  baby slow worms but again they tend to be hiding in the compost heap or amongst other rubbish and a bit sleepy but can still put on a dash when they want to.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,464
    @Valerie129 ; :)
    Can you give us an idea of the colour?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh