SUGGESTIONS WANTED - things to do with a tree branch

Hello,
A large deciduous tree branch has fallen down in our suburban garden.  Can anybody suggest things to do with it for wildlife?
We already have a wood pile (but I could make another).  I've cut some cross-sections and have seen people drill holes in them for beetles elsewhere, which I'm keen to try.

Any suggestions?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,990
    Hi James - I did something similar to what you describe with an offcut I had. It was split down the centre and has a flat back, so I drilled some holes in it,  and attached it to my privacy screen. I also attached a few pine cones and moss to the top. The small birds have a little peck in it now and again

If you can hack some bigger chunks out of it, you could possibly fill them with the fat/seed mix used in fat feeders, to feed birds. You can get a peanut butter type feed now too, so that would also work. 
    And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• If you have time to spare, have a look at some of the Insect Houses which are so popular these days.
    How thoughtful of you to try and use it for wildlife rather than save it for the fire.
    If you are handy with an electric drill and have various sized drill bits, you may like to try making something similar ?  A New Year Project as opposed to a New Year Resolution perhaps :D A bit of a roof and away you go.
    Fairy's idea is a good one tho.  

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,990
    I should have said - that's what I drilled the holes for, not for attaching it. 
    I'm not sure you can see them very well in that pic.
    And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again