Critters access to a pond

I am building a pond on my allotment for frogs , toads and hopefully newts
It will be  3 ft x 2ft by 18 inches deep with straight sides

I realise I need to enable the critters to easily get in and out of the water

Suggestions please friends 

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,014
    Hi New Boy. You can pile up some rocks/stones of varying sizes at one edge, or tree branches leaning against the side in a similar fashion.
    I think some folk also use a little board with some grooves on it - like a ladder.

I've always had a beach edging, so can't comment on how effective any of those are, but the branches idea probably take up the least space  :)
    And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• If you have some planting space at the side of your pond, you could use various trailing jobs which allow most creature a foothold and a way in and out.  Creeping Jenny is a good example - I've used it on a straight sided pond and find it works well.
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 875
    Better to have at least one side sloping so amphibians can get in and out.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,471
    I don't think creeping Jenny will support a wet hedgehog so best to have a physical ladder or slope of some sort.  Think about making a beach.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Mine is a similar size,preformed. So I have built a natural stone step up from one of the levels,plus a bit of old branch. I put it in during the summer,and now the saxifraga,creeping Jenny and ajuba is all starting to creep toward the water.So far only waterboatmen,and one dragonfly have shown interest (apart from my cats) but now looking forward to more wildlife come spring.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Obviously if you are likely to have Hedgehogs, Cats or even dogs dropping in to your pond, creeping plants won't be of much use as an exit. Whilst I accept that Hedgehogs can come a cropper, a straight sided pond, if high enough and perimeter pathways provided for their nocturnal wanderings rarely have a problem. If you are lucky to have the Hedgehogs, observing them over time will enable you to work out their preferred routes.
    Amphibians such as Newts, Frogs will either jump or crawl -in and out - enough suitable vegetation around the pond edges will assist most water based beasts. 
    You can't beat a proper wildlife pond but I think sometimes we are in danger of assuming that our wild friends are incapable of dealing with life - yes, we should encourage them and assist them as much as possible but don't lets assume they are entirely stupid - save that for the politicians  :D
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,940
    Ive seen a drowned hedgehog in a straight sided pond ... I wouldn’t take the risk  :(
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

And I've had to rescue a frog from a straight sided pond with no purchase for escape.  Even amphibians can drown.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,123
    I will be adding a lower level / ledge down two sides so I can drop in my stainless steel grid which will sit 4 - 6 inches below the surface. This is to stop Little Ones drowning
    I can then slope one of the end sides to create a point of exit for frogs etc
    I will add some large stones to bring a perching area above the waters in between the struts of the grid for frogs to have a breather

I will then add some plants around the edges to trail into the water and also to add cover 

The pond is between my two raised beds which are 18" high and 36" inches high so it is quite secluded whilst still getting the sun

I planted my 12 Buxus on Christmas Day so as per another post they should eventually hide it from the haulingway

I will get someone with a camera phone to up load some photos when it is finished

Thanks for your assistance friends

o:) 
    Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
    Put your grid higher up.  Kids can drown in a puddle if they fall unseen and can't get up.