Fencing

It has been suggested to us that as a boundary at the bottom of our field we use Stock Fencing.   Has anyone used this type of fencing, and if so do you have photos that you could share on here please?

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,288
    Sorry, haven't had the need for that type of fencing GD but believe it's stout wooden posts with either one or two horizontal wires strung tightly between them (might even be barbed wire).  Have you googled online for pics?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,014
    I always think of stock fencing as being the square wire stuff used for sheep. Don't know why!
    I think Lizzie's right though - it's basic fencing with horizontal wire, and sometimes a strand of barbed wire on top. 
    And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,572
    edited December 2018
    We've got the squared sheep netting round the veg garden and round part of the perimeter where the garden abuts grazing, either ours or neighbour's. There is barbed wire on the top on the perimeter bits and nothing or just a wooden rail on the internal parts.
    It is simple to erect (with a post thumper!) and not very visually intrusive, apart from the posts, and rails if used. It doesn't break up the sightline as a hedge or wooden fence would and means you can 'borrow' more landscape,so we can watch the sheep grazing just beyond our meadow area and look up the hill to the fields behind, giving much more feeling of space.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,543
    edited December 2018
    We’ve got stock fencing all around us, you need a post rammer, and a tensioner for fencing. Do you have animals in the field?  Probably a professional needed. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,871
    Stock fencing to me means the square stuff. I have a roll of it in the garden (don't ask!) if that's any help....
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Thanks for your input everyone - I have google Jacksons which is the main supplier to a hardware store over here. I must admit that I thought Stock Fencing was all wooden with thick vertical posts and two or three horizontal bars across all made of wood.  We are using it to section off our field from some new houses on our neighbour's land, and we intend to plant trees and shrubs on our side of the fence.  Does the fence keep out dogs Lyn?  We really want something that will be strong in very windy weather - i.e. very little maintenance and animal proof.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,471
    The square mesh stuff is metal so doesn't rot and is barely visible except for the posts.  It will stop dogs as long as it's high enough to stop them jumping over and they're not small eneough to get thru it.  Post and rail fence is usually used for horse paddocks isn't it?.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,543
    I think you could use post and rail but OH says you would need to use half round rails for cattle. 
    It would be very expensive. Stock wire is the cheapest. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hi @Lyn ;  I'm glad I'm not the only one tuning in today!! We had our Christmas Lunch yesterday,so having a relaxing morning!!
    Merry Christmas!

The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,184
    edited December 2018
    Did you notice the different heights and sizes ?
    They have various ones by the look of it, Cattle, sheep, pig, and including deer fencing.

Are the developers not putting up fencing?
    Your idea is much nicer than a high wooden fence.
    I thought it was up to dog owners to put up fencing it is their duty to keep their dogs from roaming, unless it is different there or you are just trying to keep one step ahead.
    The company you mention have a freephone number on their contact pages :)