Forum home Problem solving

Cherry tree fan

I planted 2 cherry trees yesterday against my wooden fence, I want to train them as fans which materials would you recommend and how to attach them. 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 29,099
    You need to get acquainted with the RHS which provides, amongst other things, a very useful website full of all sorts of information.  Have a read and scroll of these pages:-

Initial training - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=626

Later pruning - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=625  
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I would recommend screwing vine eyes into your fence and attaching strong galvanised wire through them to support the branches of your cherry trees.
    You may need to adjust the positioning of the wires until you have the shape you desire for your fan.
    Do your trees have a good shape to allow the branches to be gradually pulled down and out on to the wires?
    Obelixx has made a good recommendation to visit the RHS site for more advice.
    Good luck, fan trained cherries can look amazing if done successfully.
    Remember to feed them in Spring.
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • Hello Yorkshire Rose I bought 2 cherry tree maidens yes they have a few good branches that I can tie in, there is one branch that comes out at the front that I don't want do you think I could nip that of now, my original idea is to run galvanised wire horizontal about 1 foot apart attached to eye hooks and at one end of each length have a tension bolt them tie canes at angles of each branch to create fan shape. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 29,099
    That will work and yes, cut off any stems pointing the wrong way while the plant is dormant.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw