Good year for carrots!

BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,113
I left a row of winter carrots (Kingston F1) until last and haven't really looked at them for months.  Just pulled the first one from the row - at that size (photo shows carrot and 2 average size parsnips in a 14" seed tray) I though the xylem (core) would be woody but it isn't!  About 1/3rd of the row are this size.  Plenty of stews and hotpots coming up!  :)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 10,974
    I couldn’t be bothered to sow parsnips seed this year, now I wish I had😀 good crop there Bob.
    I think the trend (probably coming from tv chefs) is to pick everything the minute it shows it head,  good proof there that you can grow them to a decent size before picking. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose. 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,113
    Absolutely agree Lyn.  Micro-greens etc. are all the rage and I have no doubt are very good for you but by choosing seed varieties carefully you can grow large veg which are excellent for culinary use.  Not interested in varieties developed for 'showing' though - I grow them to eat them! :) (wish we still had that 'hungry' icon from the old site!)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    edited December 2018
    Micro greens seem a bit of a waste of time and money to me. What’s the point of picking carrots at about 3” long,  May as well have a meal of just one or two. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 22,684
    It'll turn round again in a few years, and it'll be all about getting value from your crop, blah, blah,blah. Jamie Oliver will be extolling the virtues of a giant casserole with giant carrots and onions, instead of poncy wee bits of crud on a plate and charging you 80 quid for it.
    These folk on the telly have a lot to answer for!
    I only had purple carrots sown this year as the girls had got them for me. Disastrous. Weather didn't help, and they didn't taste of anything.
    You'll get a decent meal out of that one anyway Bob  :D
    Oh the devil in me said, go down to the shed
    I know where I belong

You said that better than I did Fairygirl,   TV chefs, like gardeners need a talking too, all done to extort money out of unsuspecting folk.  
    Was it the 'poncy wee bits of crud' that you particularly liked, Lyn?  :D

I know they have to keep reinventing the wheel, but sometimes you just think - oh shut up, don't you? 
    I know where I belong

You certainly do Fairygirl, shall we turn every thread into a curmudgeonly one😀😀😀😀I’m always like this Christmas time. 
    Lyn said:
    You certainly do Fairygirl, shall we turn every thread into a curmudgeonly one😀😀😀😀I’m always like this Christmas time. 
    Aye - Merry Christmas!  :D 
    I know where I belong

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 526
    What a cracker Bob :) :D
    I like something I can get a hold of to peel and cut up for a nice chunky hearty stew without cutting my fingers off.
    Fairygirl said:
    Was it the 'poncy wee bits of crud' that you particularly liked, Lyn?  :D

I know they have to keep reinventing the wheel, but sometimes you just think - oh shut up, don't you? 
    Ditto.  I enjoyed it as much as the Pirates of Penzance  (nearly wet my elf laughing).

Sorry Bob, those parsnips look pretty tasty too, one of my favourite veggies. Chips or roasted. Reminds me I have not made parsnip chips for ages.
  • RubyLeafRubyLeaf Posts: 169
    Blimey, that carrot on the left is huge! Even though all mine were twisted and warped I didn't care, especial when I grew my biggest yet. Strangely, they weren't in full sun yet they turned out the biggest.