Question on Mycorrhizal fungi

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,452
Does the mycorrhizal fungi always need to be added only when putting a new plant in the soil or can it be dug in (watered in?) around existing plants?
“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,735
    It needs to be in direct contact with the roots, so probably only effective when planting.  Thoughts are divided on its effectiveness but all of the shrubs and trees I have used it on are doing well.  I suspect it is most effective when planting in poor soil such as many new builds which may just have subsoil with a thin layer of imported topsoil.  In established borders, the best thing to do is mulch them annuually with well-rotted manure or garden compost as this will produce soil conditions in which the natural mycorrhizal fungi will thrive.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,545
    Absolutely agree Bob, I’ve never used it and my shrubs and plants are fine.  Only ever put home made compost on my garden. 
    I expect tv Gardeners such as Monty Don are told to mention certain garden products for sponsorship and for advertising purposes. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,611
    I've seen no " double blind " evidence that it has any benefit whatsoever.
    Devon.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,558
    There have been trials and the results are inconclusive  - I think Bob's post pretty much sums it up.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,611
    @Pete.8 I've seen that tree growing over the wall. It's in Cambodia
    Devon.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,558
    They're mighty impressive!
    Reminds me of the roots of my eucalyptus :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.