Forum home The potting shed

KEW GARDENS

Received two tickets for kew Gardens with Afternoon Teas.
This is Valid until October 2019.

Asking if anyone's been 

(1)   Best Month to go
(2)   Which train station do I need to arrive at
(3)    Looking at an overnight Stay
        Do I look at booking into Kew Gardens Hotel
         or is there somewhere else recommended
(4)    My wife is registered disabled and can only walk short distances
(5)    is there transport in the  gardens
(6)    do they supply disability transport if needed

Any help with the above would be appreciated  I will contact Kew Gardens
and ask questions when I book the event which I am looking forward to 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,502
    Have your tried googling Kew Gardens?   Load of info on their website but I do know opening hours are governed by daylight hours so you get more time to see everything on a summer's day visit.  It's too big a place to see everything in one day so you need to plan a list of priorities.

They do have a train that takes people round on tours and each carriage has space for one wheelchair plus limited space for folded wheelchairs so you need to book that in advance.   London is hardly short of hotels and lodgings at all sorts of budgets and accessibility so a good one near Kew needs some online research too.  I've only ever visited Kew while staying with friends.  Oddly, when we lived near there we were too busy with work, life and our own garden to get to Kew.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,368
    There are two stations that are quite close to the gardens, but it all depends on which entrance you want to go in from. Victoria gate - Kew Gardens station and Elizabeth gate - Kew Bridge station.

It all depends on what you like to see, but for me, Kew is best for trees, shrubs and all the stuff in the huge glass houses. The Temperate House is the best you will see of a huge collection of plants from around the world. In my opinion, not the best place to see herbaceous borders and manicured borders, if that is what you are looking for. Other features include a whole section dedicated to grasses. 

There is a train service which is an additional charge but can be included in the ticket price if you pre-book. 
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,270
    There  is something to see all year round but like most gardens late spring early summer is probably a good bet. In the past couple of years they have been establishing a new "long border" so high summer would be best for that. Most paths are quite wide & flat, & they definitely have wheelchairs available but as Obelix says go on the website for details of what is available. As a Londoner we have never considered staying there so I can't recommend anywhere I am afraid, it is quite an expensive area in general.
    AB Still learning