R.I.P... David C.H. Austin - rosarian - 1926-2018

MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 2,800
The end of an era with the passing of Mr David Austin, Snr, yesterday... along with the late Peter Beales and Graham Stuart Thomas, they brought old fashioned and English roses back into the forefront of rose gardening..  

You don't have to like roses,  but he sent the best of British to the outside world.. a great British entrepreneur in rose horticulture, one that specialized in roses of a particular kind that many of us will continue to enjoy and regard as essential in our gardening landscape... 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,458
    Well said Marlorena.  May their work continue with their successors and inspire others.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • PhaidraPhaidra Posts: 345
    When I need anything in particular, I don't particularly, go by the reputation of the breeder as by the advice that I get on this forum.  I haven't regretted it yet!
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,458
    That's all very well but on here what you'll get is advice, info, experience, humour, the occasional spat.  You won't get roses bred for colour, perfume, disease resistance, suitability for smaller modern gardens............
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,390
    Another of the great gardeners gone. He, more than anybody else, did so much to improve the quality and range of roses available to the public.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,721
    The idea of a rose garden had become rather tired ... David Austin breathed new life into the traditional English garden. He will be missed but like Sir Christopher Wren, his memorial is around us  <3
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NanniemoNanniemo Posts: 190
    Very sad, I love my David Austin roses. May he rest in peace.
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845
    I must admit I have not always had success with DA roses but I have huge admiration for the man and what he achieved. RIP
    Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,387
    I grew up with a father who grew hybrid tea roses in a large rose bed. Nothing else in that bed except some wall flowers for spring colour and scent. For most of the year it looked like a large border of sticks - and horrid thorny sticks which seemed to need a lot of spraying and attention. When the roses bloomed they were lurid colours and had little scent.

Consequently, I thought I didn’t like roses.

Then I discovered my first DA rose...

I don’t have a garden ‘full’ of roses - but there are quite a lot. All have a beautiful form and colour, are highly scented, repeat flower over a long season, require no spraying and grow happily in mixed borders with other plants growing through them and round them. They are star performers throughout the summer.

Thank you David Austin you will live on forever in our gardens.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • PhaidraPhaidra Posts: 345
    Obelixx said:
    That's all very well but on here what you'll get is advice, info, experience, humour, the occasional spat.  You won't get roses bred for colour, perfume, disease resistance, suitability for smaller modern gardens............
    Of course, and he was, indisputably, great in his field.  He will be missed by rose lovers, no doubt.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,256
    I have several of his lovely roses in SW France, but sometimes they struggle with the summer heat and need a lot of watering. But when they do well  they are so beautiful and so fragrant. Thank goodness he had a son to carry on who is the managing director. Rose growing must be good for you, he was 92.
    Dordogne and Norfolk