Forum home The potting shed

New reduced packaging!

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,815
I have just bought a new pot of face cream and was pleased to see the packaging had changed.I have long complained of the plastic pot being double walled etc making it look bigger.The amount of cream is still exactly the same amount but now in a single walled pot and no 'insert' in the lid.The box it came in is also smaller.This means that transport costs are less because you can carry more items in the same space.
If all manufacturers could do this it would go some way to help all the problems we have.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,381
    I went to a new zero waste shop that's opened locally last weekend and it's great to see people actively working to find new ways of shopping and reducing plastic. This kind of packaging reduction will make a huge difference though. Have a look at a lot of christmas products this year and marvel at the amount of air and plastic you pay for to make things look like they're better value for money by just being bigger.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,512
    Michael Gove has today announced plans to make the companies who sell goods wraqpped in packaging pay for the recycling.  That should concentrate a few minds.

He's also announced to standardise collection and recycling of waste across the UK.   About bloody time.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,354
    It's a small thing, m,penguin, but if they all do it, it quickly becomes a big thing.  :)
    I agree totally with what Obelixx has said too.
    If we all handed back the packaging at checkouts, and if supermarkets could then return it all to the relevant companies, that would be a start in getting them to take responsibility.

In furniture products and similar, if they could stop putting screws/rawlplugs/hinges etc in a separate , non recycleable, plastic bag, when they all go into a bigger one, that would help as well. I think that's one of the worst examples of excess packaging there is.  :(
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,622
    Lots of fruit juice is described as "from concentrate".  So they first take out some of the water, then put it back.  Why not let us buy the concentrate?  Less processing, less packaging, less weight to transport. Plus, those of us who are fussy about such things would have a choice whether to dilute it with tap water, or filtered water or (I wish you wouldn't) bottled water.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,825
    josusa47 said:
    Lots of fruit juice is described as "from concentrate".  So they first take out some of the water, then put it back.  Why not let us buy the concentrate?  Less processing, less packaging, less weight to transport. Plus, those of us who are fussy about such things would have a choice whether to dilute it with tap water, or filtered water or (I wish you wouldn't) bottled water.
    That sounds very sensible  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,815
    josusa47 said:

I actually remember this being done years ago,possibly the 70's, when you could buy a small (frozen I think?) can of orange juice concentrate,about the size of a small tin of soup, to which you added your own water.
    If it could be done then why not now?
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,715
    Hear hear.  I remember those cans too, Madpenguin...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,785
    is that the stuff that used to be given out in 'health centres' to pre-school and primary school children? I remember there was a very particular taste to that orange juice
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,512
    Can't bear the concentrated/diluted stuff.  Has to be fresh or just pasteurised but these days we drink a red juice in the morning.  Used to be blackurrants, rapsberries, redcurrants but now seems to be raspberries, redcurrants and such.  What's happened to the blackcurrants?  Have they all gone to Ribena?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,785
    Obelixx said:
     What's happened to the blackcurrants?  Have they all gone to Ribena?
    Maybe the rules about adding sugar mean they can't make blackcurrant flavoured things sweet enough for modern taste?
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett