Forum home Plants

Coreopsis over winter

What am i supposed to do with coreopsis? It's still green and showing no signnof die back, despite a few frosts. Does it need cutting back or what?

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,449
    Just do nothing and relax. ;)
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,426
    Depending on where you live, it'll either come through the winter with no trouble, or... not.  I can't keep it, but my garden is wet and cold.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,451
    Protect it from slugs. They nibble off the new shoots as they emerge in the spring
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,632
    If you have heavy damp soil avoid cutting back. Protect the base of the plant by topping up with mulch. They need very free draining soil, especially Verticillata. 
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Rhondda ValleyPosts: 2,338
    I've just left mind with old foliage on,but will protect it from the munchers come spring.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • I have Coreopsis Sunkiss that are stlll in the green. Ensure that they have well drained soil I leave foliage on most of my perennial plants to protect them from frost but cut back to new shoots in early and late spring