Forum home Plants

Hellebore Niger

Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,415
I received my "free" Hellebore Niger bare roots from T & M yesterday (special offer in GW) and am wondering whether to just pot them up and keep them in a protected place outdoors over the winter or plant straight away (recommended by T&M). It's cold but dry out there but not really very keen on gardening today (strictly a warm weather gardener!) and haven't really decided where to put them yet. Did anybody else get some and if so, what are you going to do with them? 
North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,424
    A bare root plant at just the time they're coming up to flower. That will need a bit of TLC, I'd pot it up and keep it as you suggest outdoors

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,415
    Thanks Nut. I did assume they were "leftovers", but they do look healthy enough with each having a growing point. In the end I just potted all 5 in one big pot temporarily while I decide where to put them and put them under the eaves. My existing H.N has three lovely flowers on already.
  • Potted mine up in Litre pots with a mix of grit , multi-purpose and home-made compost just under the surface , they had lots of firm roots which I spread out on about 1 inch of compost and filled up carefully ,topped up with a good layer of grit. As I speak the pots have been out in all weathers as they should be this time of year.  Will check them in the morning as I am going to collect some greenery from our garden to make 2 Xmas wreaths to cheer up a few places . Watch and wait to see them show later hopefully.
    Mine aren't out yet but I can see the white buds at the base.

It's so cheerful isn't it Nut, to see plants coming into flower at this time of year. I've just looked out of the window and noticed a white "Winchester Cathedral" rose in bloom, I swear it wasn't there yesterday! 
    edited December 2018
    I appreciate anything that performs in winter, Lizzie. I noticed Chimonanthus praecox is near flowering and snowdrops are peeping

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,860
    I'm a bit late to your thread Lizzie, but I'd have said the same as nut did re potting them up.  :)
    I bought some little plugs from a private seller online in late winter, and potted them up. They made good sized plants over summer, and I planted some out recently. They've been flowering for a month now.
    I already have one elsewhere in the garden, which was what prompted me to pick these for a particular spot. Lovely to have those glowing white flowers on dark days.  :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
    That's lovely Fairygirl - hope mine will look as good next year.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,860
    They've bulked up quite quickly Lizzie, considering how little they were. I hope yours do well for you next year.  :)
    One mistake I made was, that I buried some of them a bit deep when I potted them on, and they rotted. Totally my fault. I should have realised that, with their little 'buds' of foliage and stems emerging at the soil surface, they needed to be a tiny bit proud of the surface - similar to  peonies. Our wet conditions would encourage that rotting too, so when I planted them out, I was careful as well.
    I got them to do an edging round  the raised beds I have apple trees in, and recently bought some Pachysandra to alternate with them. Then I'll put some bulbs in there as well to give a nice winter into spring display. 
    Hopefully  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
    Thanks for that advice Fairygirl. I did check T&M's instructions which said to just gently bury the growing points by about an 1". I'm now thinking that as soon as the weather improves and I've got more time, I might repot them individually before they start growing, that way there will be less disturbance. 
    Your border ideas sound really nice, hope it all goes to plan.