Forum home Plants

Narrow Evergreen

Experts,

I am looking to screen my property from a neighbours window, and to do this I only require a tall/narrow evergreen.  Height wise it needs to be growing to a maximum of 4-5m (be that it's mature height OR a height I can keep it to with a bit of trimming). Something like an Italian Cypress, but i believe these can grow way taller than this and that would be an issue.
Aspect wise it'll be getting 3-4 hours of sun in the summer.
Any advice/thoughts appreciated. 

Daniel

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,559
    Aspect wise it'll be getting 3-4 hours of sun in the summer.

Unlike your neighbour's garden after you've planted them?
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • Nope, it will not be blocking anybody's light at all.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,037
    Juniper Skyrocket might do the trick.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 574
    Juniper 'Sky Rocket' isn't very reliable in my experience. Being a conifer it is fairly shallow rooted and tends to brown quickly if it dries out, does it have to be an evergreen?

Some small trees, which are deciduous, can offer good screening, something like Sorbus 'Olympic Flame' a narrow, upright tree which could be grown as a standard, or multi-stem. It has attractive foliage which turns fiery in Autumn, and carries orange/red berries too.
    Amelanchiar is another attractive choice to give interest in Spring, Summer and Autumn, it too can be grown as a multi-stem or standard.

A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,433
    You can get columnar yews, but I'm not sure how quickly they grow.
    It's quite a common query here, Daniel, and often the easiest method is to plant something nearer your property, which doesn't have to be so tall, but has the desired effect. Perspective and all that.
    You can still plant something on the boundary, but that will provide privacy in the meantime. It can also be done with simple screens and climbers,  or something similar.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....